SergeySud's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Google really wants to know a sculpture's phone number & website

Hi team, fellows,

Previously, some unscrupulous LGs added work hours for sculptures and monuments, as an easy way to collect points in the program. I call such edits a pseudo-improvement.

Also, some users by ignorance added links to Wikipedia for monuments.

Now we have the "uncover missing info" on Google Maps for Android, and now on iOS too. And there Google itself provokes users, encourages them to add websites and phones to all sculptures.

Sculpture POI-AndroidSculpture POI-AndroidSculpture POI-Android - Phone number requestSculpture POI-Android - Phone number request

Sculpture POI-iPhone - Phone number requestSculpture POI-iPhone - Phone number requestSculpture POI-iPhoneSculpture POI-iPhone

Is it wise? I think it's will be wise to select categories and exclude many of it from the requests. Or give to user reasonable tasks, rather than those that a priori will violate the rules and common sense.

16 comments
Level 10

Re: Google really wants to know a sculpture's phone number & website

Полностью согласен с Сережей.

Чекбокс "не применимо" был бы очень кстати.

From Saint Petersburg with ♥ | Russia Local Guides Russian Language Thread

Level 10

Hi @SergeySud, I completely agree. On the desktop version (as far as I remember) there's a three dot menu next to each item where I can select "not applicable" (or similar)

Unfortunately I cannot find this feature anywhere now. But it corresponds with what you are asking for.

Such a feature should be added to the mobile version (too).

Level 8

Hi @SergeySud,

I will compare it with those ATM POIs.  

The website and phone number are for people to learn more and to report problems regarding the POI when needed.

Who  to call when you discover the sculpture is damaged, being re-painted by someone, etc.

Level 10

@YK1001 wrote:

Who  to call when you discover the sculpture is damaged, being re-painted by someone, etc.

The police?

Level 8

Calling Police is the last resort only when neccessary, @Csaba.

Sometimes it is just normal wearing - so if we can call the "owner" to fix it is enough.

Level 10

@YK1001 Have you ever seen a sign with a phone number, website, work hours on a sculpture? You're trying to justify a harmful function. Perhaps, and even for sure, a service organization is attached to each monument. For example, a dozen organizations are responsible for an each monument in Moscow. Which of them should be specified? One company is responsible for the preservation, another one for cleaning, a third one for lighting, etc. But every ordinary user doesn't know it, and shouldn't know it. Actually users specify Wikipedia pages, or travel websites instead.

Level 8

@SergeySud, Thank you for the post. It is indeed a valid point. I believe there is an option to report those questions which are irrelevant to a particular place.

Cheers!

Level 8

Hi @SergeySud,

Sometimes, there is a signage telling the visitor who created it.  Who put it on that place.  And who manage it.

Sometimes, as a Local Guide, we know from other sources like news reports, etc.

It does not mean everytime, we know that by visiting those art works alone.

Level 10

Ok, @YK1001 now I understand - you are living in a different world. Because in my world sculpture is not a business object - is just a piece of stone or bronze, standing on a base in a middle of a street or square. Therefore, in my world, sculptures have no business hours, phone number, and website. 🙂