Andras_H's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Get a feedback (or notification) about a hidden (private) review

There are hidden reviews - which are in private state, so visible only for the creator (LG).

I have find a simple way to get this number (how many of your reviews are hidden)

simply open another browser, where you are not logged in, and check the numbers. my case:

reviews-hidden.png

On the left side I'm logged in, have 445 reviews. On the right side I'm not and it shows 444 reviews. So it seems, one of my review is hidden.

But I don't know which, and I also don't know why - so there is not any feedback, so there is no chance to improve / solve this situation.

But I would like to solve it.

My feature request would be: have a notification / email, something about the problematic review. then I could edit it.

Thanks!

Hungary
2 comments
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Get a feedback (or notification) about a hidden (private) review

AndrasH wrote: 

My feature request would be: have a notification / email, something about the problematic review. then I could edit it.

On the surface this seems like a perfectly good idea and it has certainly been suggested before, but there is a potential issue that may be keeping Google from implementing it. Lots of reviews get made private all the time for many reasons, so if an alert was received by the Local Guide it would be hard to have an explanation* why it was flagged - so the notification would possibly just say a generic "Review rejected" or similar. This would probably be more frustrating/demotivating for the LG than now - in fact most LGs now don't even realise when their review has been flagged. Google deliberately doesn't remove flagged (private) reviews from our contributions tab as they don't want to make it obvious.

*generally speaking Google doesn't like explanatory notifications. Its the same with edits, when we get a Not Applied, there is no reason given. Google prefers to give guidance at the outset and expects us to follow it. For them it's a more efficient modus operandi than explaining or moderating reviews post hoc.

Level 8

Re: Get a feedback (or notification) about a hidden (private) review

Hi @Pea thanks for your opinion.

it has certainly been suggested before

Sorry for that, I don't find the related discussion (however the suggestions are turned on)

Lots of reviews get made private all the time for many reasons, so if an alert was received by the Local Guide it would be hard to have an explanation* why it was flagged - so the notification would possibly just say a generic "Review rejected" or similar. This would probably be more frustrating/demotivating for the LG than now - in fact most LGs now don't even realise when their review has been flagged.

As you wrote, we do have already notifications regarding the newly added places (approved / reject / pending) So regarding the reviews section we could have the same - that would be enough (even without knowing why was a review rejected). It would be consistent and also much better.

*generally speaking Google doesn't like explanatory notifications. Its the same with edits, when we get a Not Applied, there is no reason given.  

I think that is OK, at least we know the status.

Generally I think it is always better to know what is the real situation/status - so we can improve that.

My opinion that the "I don't know about it, therefore it doesn't hurt me" approach leads nowhere.