EyadL's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 3

Free Drive Storage only for 1 year

Dear Google, why does the free drive space expire after just one year?  I just found this out and I feel like I've been had. It would be much more useful and worth while if it didn't expire so soon.

Albuquerque, NM, United States
32 comments
Level 7

Re: Free Drive Storage only for 1 year

Since some time, new Level 4 local guides get only 100Gb, so you can consider yourself lucky with 1Tb 🙂

Level 3

How do you know that I'm in the 1Tb group? That's also only for a year as well right?

Level 7

I just guessed!

Level 10

I think it is right. If now everyone can write review for every little thing that appears on Google Maps, only in order to have the free space

Level 7

Isn't this a bit short sighted to make storage available only for 1 year if guides reach level 4 in a couple months (yes, that's right) and level 5 within a year?

I am seeing the significant traffic we bring to Google Maps with our contributions to help our community since this is measured.

What is the incentive to continue contributing/moderating after hitting 500 points? 

Why couldn't the continuity of contributions by Google Local Guides add more time (an extra year) to the storage every year?

Suggestion:

After reaching level 5, contribute 200 extra points per year to maintain your Google Drive storage at whatever level you were granted (GB/TB) and for every additional 200 points you get other perks/previews

Googler

Hi @henrikdegyorOn July 7, we announced both via email in our monthly newsletter and here in Local Guides Connect that as our community of Local Guides continues to grow, we’ve made the decision to adjust our Level 4 benefit to 100GB of free Google Drive storage for one year. Local Guides who were signed up for the program prior to July 7 and reached Level 4 by July 21 still received the 1 TB offer. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback on the benefit. 

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Level 6

Hello,

@TraciC as far as I understand, @henrikdegyor has no concern about this change, but I fully agree with his point. His idea is to add rules to allow active LG to keep this additional storage.

Level 6

@TraciC wrote:

Hi @henrikdegyorOn July 7, we announced both via email in our monthly newsletter and here in Local Guides Connect that as our community of Local Guides continues to grow, we’ve made the decision to adjust our Level 4 benefit to 100GB of free Google Drive storage for one year. Local Guides who were signed up for the program prior to July 7 and reached Level 4 by July 21 still received the 1 TB offer. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback on the benefit. 

I think you miss the point. The guides, and I, are asking to re-consider the 'it expires after a year'. That would make sense if our reviews etc also expired after a year. The guides are making Google Maps significantly better-why not just let us have the extra space for life? I mean, at the scale of Google 100GB is a tiny, tiny, tiny drip in a huge vast ocean. I bet it's below the rounding point in your monthly reports! 🙂

Can I please ask Google to reconsider, and if you refuse can we please have the reasoning.

Googler

@ThomasLee I explained the benefit change for others who may not be aware and thanked you for your feedback, which will be shared with the feedback, as is what is done with all feedback shared with the team. The Local Guides program is constantly evolving and the team is always looking at ways to thank the most active, consistent contributors. 

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.