EyadL's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Re: Free Drive Storage only for 1 year

Hi @TraciC,

Both @Christophe31 and @ThomasLee understand my points.

I would like LG to have more opportunities to continue earning additional rewards (with new levels) and be able to retain the rewards (such as Google Drive storage, community moderation, etc) earned as long as we continue to contribute regularly. Otherwise, there is little incentive for level 5 LGs to continue beyond badges. If the storage vanishes after a year, it looks seems like a scheme to get Google users to pay for more storage after 1 year of earning it as a LG. 

I would love to see more public data about LGs from Google on all LGs per geographic area. 

I believe there are not enough LGs in my area and I would like to help change that. 

How do we find out aside from hoping they post on this forum? What does the data say? How many Level [number] LGs are there?

The current LG metrics show how VERY useful our contributions are to each of our communities if we know where to look.

I see an average of 13,000 views per day from my own contributions.

I look forward to contributing more due to this helpful impact.

Thank you.

Level 7

Hi @TraciC,

Both @Christophe31 and @ThomasLee understand my points.

I would like LG to have more opportunities to continue earning additional rewards (with new levels) and be able to retain the rewards (such as Google Drive storage, community moderation, etc) earned as long as we continue to contribute regularly. Otherwise, there is little incentive for level 5 LGs to continue beyond badges. If the storage vanishes after a year, it looks seems like a scheme to get Google users to pay for more storage after 1 year of earning it as a LG. 

I would love to see more public data about LGs from Google on all LGs per geographic area. 

I believe there are not enough LGs in my area and I would like to help change that. 

How do we find out aside from hoping they post on this forum? What does the data say? How many Level [number] LGs are there?

The current LG metrics show how VERY useful our contributions are to each of our communities if we know where to look.

I see an average of 13,000 views per day from my contributions.

I look forward to contributing more due to this helpful impact.

Thank you.

Level 6

Traci, I appreciate the position. And yes, you did explain what Google's position currently is. Note I am asking Google to re-consider.

Right now, the extra drive space is motivation to fill in a few more reviews, etc. I am excited that I can earn more space. What I, and others, are saying is that Google benefits greatly from everything we do, but seems to want to cut off OUR benefit after a year. I guess that would be fair enough if all my reviews were removed at that point - but I anticipate that Google will want to continue to get benefit from those reviews. 

Please, consider the point of views of many of your guides and reconsider. 1 TB for 200 points is OTT, IMHO. Although having said that, the cost of this is utterly trivial when compared to the last 10 seconds of Google Profit. But 100 GB for as long as we are active is a better incentive, long term, and reflects a more reasonable reward for those of us doing the actual work in building reviews.

So yes, I heard you. Have you heard us?

Level 6

@HenrikD wrote:

I see an average of 13,000 views per day from my contributions.

Where do you see these stats??

Level 7

How to see and track your own LG stats

To answer the question from @ThomasLee on "Where do you see [your own LG] stats??" requires a combination of steps and even more offline steps to track on your own LG stats.

1. On your computer, be sure you are first logged on as a LG. LG stats can be seen if you go to Google Maps > Menu > Your contributions > Photos > [Next to the eye icon is the number of photo views you contributed as an LG]. 

2. You can note this number of photo views every visit and the date when you look at these stats. (I use Google Sheets in Drive to track this, see below)

3. If you compare the views each time you look to the next time you look, divide by the number of days between visits, you get the average number of photo views per day of your contributed photos. As mentioned, my stats show I was averaging 13,000 photo views per day, but it does vary wildly based on what you photographed. 

While I only started this spreadsheet after I hit 200 LG points, I thought I would share this Google Sheet publicly so you can see how I track my LG stats.

Level 4

When i start the program it was 1tb and 2 years. But now 100gb and just 1 year. I'm so sad. This is not my old Google . I'm leaving from program...

Level 3

hi what happens to the storage after 1 year.

Level 7

If you start using it within the first year, you can pay to keep it starting year 2. And every year afterward you want to keep it. Or you lose it if you did not use it.

Google Drive storage is not expensive. You can look up the prices in your area.

Level 8

Dear Sir

This is a bad trick by google map. After one year, we will have to purchase more storage from Google (we would develop bad habit of storing more pics, videos etc.). But our contribution to map will be for ever. Rather than giving 100 MB for one year, better they would have given 20 MB storage but for ever.

Regards

Satpal SIngh 

Level 8

Dear Sir

This is a bad trick by google map. After one year, we will have to purchase more storage from Google (we would develop bad habit of storing more pics, videos etc.). But our contribution to map will be for ever. Rather than giving 100 MB for one year, better they would have given 20 MB storage but for ever.

Regards

Satpal SIngh 

@TraciC wrote:

@ThomasLee I explained the benefit change for others who may not be aware and thanked you for your feedback, which will be shared with the feedback, as is what is done with all feedback shared with the team. The Local Guides program is constantly evolving and the team is always looking at ways to thank the most active, consistent contributors.