JessY's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Feature request: list sharing and collalborating

Intro
The recently introduced List feature is awesome. We can finally organize our favorites places and I can finally stop having nightmares of stars-covered maps.

The issue
As Local Guides, we can come up with great Lists such as:
a) NYC Local Guides Burger Crawl
b) Best restaurant and sights for friends who come to visit
c) Must see Places in next trip to X location
But we can't do anything with them from a social point of view, the most important being sharing, closely followed by contributing (or collaborating).

Current Situation
As of today, I have two bad options to share a list:
a) Share every single place one by one
b) Take a screenshot and send it.
We can all agree that none-is-great.

Real life example of the issue
My wife and I went to Washington DC 2 weeks ago.
I was in charge of finding the sights, mainly monuments and museums, and she was in charge of finding great restaurants to go to.
[SHARING] Unfortunately, we could not send the list we created to each other so we had to borrow each other's phone to see the places.
[COLLABORATING] And it would actually have been much better to work on the same list to easily see which restaurant was the closest to our current sight.

Idea (Sharing 1st, Collaborating 2nd)
The possibility to share Lists the same way you can share a document in Google Drive or an album in Google Photos would be great. First, it could be restricted to Local Guides and then sharing could be extended to anybody who has the link (same as in Google Drive or Google photos).
Collaborating would work the same way. The owner would share the list with whoever he wants and they could start adding places. The idea is to keep the same way of working as the other Google Products so that it does not get confusing.

Quick draft

The easiest way to implement it would be in the menu of the list:

Your Places - List Sharing.png

Is Google aware?
I had the great opportunity to discuss this subject with our group made of Local Guides lvl5 and Google Maps Engineers and Developers during NYC event on Jan 12.

Let me know what you think, if you would find it useful or how you would see it.

JessyY

[This post is in conjunction with my previous one 'Feature request: list of reviewed places in 'Your places'. The idea is that Google Maps needs to be more social so that the Local Guide program stays relevant and attracts more people, with the final goal of making Google Maps even better than it already is!]

Wanna have a look at my lvl5 Local Guide profile or my new food-focused Instagram?

2 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 7
Solution

Re: Feature request: list sharing and collalborating

Thanks for the writeup! As I'm sure you can imagine collaboration is much harder from an engineering perspective than sharing, but I'd love for both to work well. Definitely going to be working on this soon 👍😊

View solution in original post

Level 7
Solution

Re: Feature request: list sharing and collalborating

Thanks for the writeup! As I'm sure you can imagine collaboration is much harder from an engineering perspective than sharing, but I'd love for both to work well. Definitely going to be working on this soon 👍😊

Level 6

Another good reference, thank you.

Another good reference, thank you.