Julian_Durchholz's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 3

Add "Mountain Peak" category to missing place submission

Mountain peaks are a fundamental part of Maps, therefore we should be able to contribute missing ones. Please make this category available.

Edit: Same for waterfalls please

20 comments
Level 8

Re: Add "Mountain Peak" category to missing place submission

You are right: I have exactly the same problem.

Level 10

From what I can see, mountains such as Mount Everest, Mount Saint Helens and Mount Kosciusko already exist as Mountain Peaks. However I don't think the category of Waterfall exists though. You could ask Google via the feedback tool to allow the category to be freely created, or to include certain natural features (lookouts are a big giveaway). However I think information of these mountains and natural features have been migrated directly from Google Earth and national topographic geographical databases.

Level 8

I also thought that mountain tops were imported from official cartography. The peaks on Maps are, however, only the most important, so lovers of walking on mountain trails can not rely on Google Maps but must use other tools (like OpenStreetMap).

Level 3

You are correct Briggs, the category exists in Maps, but is not available for selection in the editing tool. 😐

Level 5

I think they don't allow you to add any types of places for natural points of interest. This is a big hindrance to me because I would like to upload photos of natural place and landmarks, some of which aren't listed, and it seems Google Maps requires you to upload photos to existing points of interest (unless you use the Street View app and you can upload even if you don't have a point of interest selected). But I understand that they probably want those to come from some more authoritative source to be sure that information is accurate and there aren't too many minor things added.

Level 7

I also think google should leave us add mountain peaks and other points of interest (waterfalls, wells, etc). It will be very useful for people who like hiking. Personally have taken many photospheres from such places but cannot upload them at the right location

Level 7

You have a point here @HikingMike. ("hey probably want those to come from some more authoritative source"). As a hiker, I miss that possibility too. I've seen people going around this limitation by using incorrect categories in order to add a natural landscape feature (eg: "historical landmark" for a river source or "hiking trail" for a peak... Maybe they should give this step further and allow this kind of editing... 

Level 5

Yes, I agree. It might make sense if they have different editor types. Some people could gain trust and be enabled to edit natural features. There might be a different confirmation process for those changes as well.

Level 6

In my experience I has been able to add missing places for a number of  peaks. The category that I used for the tops is "mountaineering class".

What it seems me very difficult, is to correct the POIs google managed. (ie mountain peak placed in the wrong coordinates or wrong geographical names).