World Walking Day 2026: Myths, Movement & Passing the Baton! šŸ‘Ÿ

Caption: Throwback to our World Walking Day 2025: proving that walking for health is at least 80% catching up and laughing, and 20% actual cardio. Ready to do it again? :running_shoe::joy::sparkles:

Hi Local Guides, 2026 World Walking Day is coming soon! :running_shoe::globe_showing_americas:

As you know, we commemorate World Walking Day (find more details on How To Get Involved section) every year, traditionally on the first Sunday of October. This year, we celebrate on Sunday, October 4th!

Last year, at :world_map: Mapping Meets Movement: Celebrate World Walking Day, October 5th! - Connections & celebrations - Local Guides Connect, we explored how Mapping Meets Movement, the idea that every step we log isn’t just great cardio, but also our best tool for mapping safer, more pedestrian-friendly, and accessible neighborhoods.

Starting at 10:00 AM local time, people across all 24 time zones will pass the baton for TAFISA World Walking Day: 24 Hours Around the Globe under UNESCO patronage!

:performing_arts: Plot Twist: We Don’t Actually Have to Just Walk!

Caption: Holding the 2025 flyer, look closely at the logo! Whether we roll, cycle, swim, or run, TAFISA welcomes every form of movement. :woman_biking::wheelchair_symbol::man_swimming:

Here’s the fun part: while it’s called World Walking Day, TAFISA knows that movement comes in all flavors.

Not in the mood to walk? No problem! Run, cycle, swim, paddle, or skate! TAFISA’s registration welcomes any movement that gets your heart pumping. The mission isn’t perfect form; it’s passing your baton for a cause you care about.

As the WHO puts it: any movement beats zero, and more is better. Getting 150–300 minutes of weekly moderate cardio isn’t just a guideline globally; it prevents up to 5 million premature deaths a year. So move however you like, just don’t stay glued to the couch! :couch_and_lamp::prohibited:

:light_bulb: Walking & Movement: Myths vs. Facts :stethoscope:

Because walking looks almost too simple, the internet is full of quirky fitness folklore. Let’s bust four of the biggest myths:

  • :cross_mark: Myth 1: 10,000 steps a day, or it doesn’t count.

    • :white_check_mark: Fact: The ā€œ10,000ā€ number was invented by a 1965 Japanese pedometer ad, not a lab! Clinical studies show that heart health and longevity benefits kick in between 6,000 and 8,000 steps. Every step counts!
  • :cross_mark: Myth 2: Walking isn’t ā€œrealā€ cardio.

    • :white_check_mark: Fact: Brisk walking, where you can talk comfortably but can’t talk or sing is gold-standard moderate aerobic exercise. It strengthens your heart and regulates blood sugar, with zero pounding on your joints.
  • :cross_mark: Myth 3: You need 45 straight minutes for results.

    • :white_check_mark: Fact: Science loves ā€œmovement snacks.ā€ Three brisk 10-minute walks throughout the day deliver the same metabolic and cardiovascular perks as one continuous 30-minute session.

Disclaimer: All health facts and myth-busting insights shared here are curated from reputable, peer-reviewed public health guidelines and clinical consensus sources, including the WHO Guidelines on Physical Activity and Sedentary Behaviour. :nerd_face:

:woman_walking: How to Join the Relay:

Register :backhand_index_pointing_right: : World Walking Day. Once registered, you will receive an email notification.

  • Prepare Your Baton: Create and customize your baton using the template.
  • Mobilize Your Network: Share on social media with #worldwalkingday to invite others.
  • Share Your Video: Post your photo/video with #worldwalkingday to join the global relay, Tag TAFISA Instagram Official

Tagging a few friends from last year’s walk, Connect post threads and friends who are walkers, runners etc :smiling_face_with_sunglasses: @indahnuria @Radjasitanggang @jenatans @Dwiapril @budisatriop @inafithri @feMz @RahmatHarmanP @RivaniRahmadani @Ddimitra @RahmatHarmanP @RivaniRahmadani @feMz @Ifauzi @360bymiftah @aditp2000 @Astari @Ratri @AriefSusiloWibowo @Fakhriy_D @Gurukrishnapriya @AnshukMitra @Sagir @JordanBurleson @Jesi @LightRich @LaloPadilla @Bere_Marichi @Janis_delaluz @ErnestoGZamora @cuicani @Lizyeth_Villanueva @marcorp @MrFreez @Onnalee13 @AndiBrata @SetyawatiAnik @elyudith @syaubananas @Velvel @inadwiana @NunungAfuah @irulmusmus @JeffryRisandy @Soykot_azam @SophatCHY @KhamphoutS and many more … please share to your community!

Shoes on, screens off. Going solo or with a group are both awesome. Let’s pass the baton and make healthy, active living second nature for all of us! :running_shoe::fire:

Cheers :heart:

24 Likes

Thanks lot for tagging me in this great initiative @doc_dells
I registered & wait for the day. Physical & outdoor activities i like most.
I would more thankful to you if you engage me such kind of activities in future…

1 Like

Yay! Well done! @doc_dells @indahnuria I have something to share with you guys!

I confess! I am a walkholic…I did 380k steps in August…

And I have registerd for thr relay!

See below: How did you hear about World Walking Day? *

Local Guides Connect Forum (a post from the Indonesian Local Guides)

2 Likes

Hi @Soykot_azam, just in time. I was reading your World Heart Day post and thought this might interest you. And yes, any relevant activities will include you! Keep movin’, and don’t forget to tag TAFISA of your photo or video!

@OliverKIWI I love that word - Walkaholic! Such a fitting title for anyone clocking 380K steps a month. I’ll definitely add you to the ā€œLocal Guides Walkers listā€!

1 Like

Is the right symbol someone riding a horse? What about skateboards :smiley:

1 Like

Wow, sharp eye, @KevinKwok. Riding a horse - an equestrian sport, I believe TAFISA definitely counts! :smiling_face_with_sunglasses: Skateboarding should be there too. :raising_hands:

This is captured from the registration form: if you don’t spot it on the list, just pick ā€˜Other’ and keep rolling!

Caption: 2024 certificate - Go solo!

Caption: 2025 certificate! Confession: I officially registered with my other community squad (who still crushed it without me!), but spent the day marching with Local Guides. :laughing: :running_shoe::trophy:

1 Like

Thanks for the update @doc_dells :smiley:
This is a fantastic initiative, and I’m definitely looking forward to participating in World Walking Day this year. :smiling_face_with_sunglasses:

1 Like

@NileshNag, great! Don’t forget to share it with your family and community. :raising_hands:

1 Like

Will join @doc_dells walking is my one of the activity. I also go to gym to increase my strength and mobility. I am happy to pass on the Baton. Thanks for this wonderful post.

2 Likes

Sehat sukses terus ya mbak @doc_dells

1 Like

@Gurukrishnapriya Love this! :heart_hands: A solid walk paired with gym mobility work is the ultimate combo. I remember that you also joined this last year.

1 Like

Ayo ikutan mbak @TitikMariati , klik link registrasinya. :raising_hands:

1 Like

Hi @doc_dells thank you very much. I registered but I didn’t get mail. Should I register again?

Baik mbak e @doc_dells , nanti saha coba ya ,? Matur sembah nuwun :folded_hands:t2: