[Virtual] India, October 17, MYTHBUSTERS - Part 01: What Do We Really Know About Google Maps, local guides & Connect?

Hello LGs,

As we celebrate the 10th anniversary of the Local Guides community program—an initiative led by @KashifMisidia bhai—I was thinking about how I could contribute, which led me to this idea. The unofficial celebration post is here form your reference.

Really, how much do we know about Google Maps, Local Guides community and/or Connect forum itself?

Let’s discuss!

By discussing these topics, exchanging our insights, and addressing the myths, we can uncover the truth together.

To kick things off, we’ll explore some common myths about Google Maps—the everyday misconceptions shared by average users, such as:

  1. Google Maps is for navigation purpose only
  2. The place that appears first in the search, must be the best!

These examples are merely starting points for our conversation, as there is plenty more for us to exchange and fact-check together. To gather your input, I have created a submission form where you can share the myths you’ve encountered—especially those where discovering the truth felt surprisingly tricky or amusing to explain—along with any related experiences you’d like to offer.

Feel free to leave your comments below as well—if time permits, we’ll feature them during the presentation. We’ll also have a section of an open session during the meet-up, where everyone can freely share their thoughts, insights, and experiences.

We will have another couple of meet-ups aligned for remaining topics on myths about local guides community and of course, Connect forum. :slightly_smiling_face:

So, are you ready?

First meet-up details:

Meet-up time & date:

Saturday, October 17, 2026

Time: 7:00 PM IST onwards (We should wind-up in an hour! :blush: :+1:)

The meet-up link will be published here at the top at least 12 hours prior to the scheduled date and time.

#LGCBirthday #LGC10Years #Connectturns10 Google Maps tips & tricks
lets-celebrate #DilSeCommunity #DilSeLocal

See you there then!

37 Likes

This is a brilliant initiative, @AjitThite Ji. Busting common Google Maps myths is a perfect way to celebrate the 10th anniversary. Looking forward to the meet-up on October 17th.

2 Likes

Sukses dan lancar ya @AjitThite , untuk acaranya :folded_hands:t2:

1 Like

Wowww this is interesting.. count me in @AjitThite dada

2 Likes

Wow, this is a very Unique idea, I will definitely attend this meetup, @AjitThite Bhai :folded_hands:t2:

2 Likes

@AjitThite dada, Sounds like a very interesting and interactive session! Looking forward to this interesting session and learning the facts.

1 Like

The theme for the meeting looks interesting. Thank you for the choice and invite @AjitThite!

1 Like

All the best for your meetup @AjitThite

1 Like

I filled the form 3 times with stubborn myths. I doubt you need me there to elaborate and discuss.

2 Likes

Great initiative @AjitThite dada. I will surely join

1 Like

This is such a thoughtful initiative, @AjitThite We use Google Maps so regularly that it’s easy to accept certain things as facts without really questioning them. I’m especially looking forward to hearing the real facts behind these common myths.

1 Like

Yes, @Kumaarsantosh. We normally ignore or overlook such things but need to access it at some stage as a group. Just trying that here.

Everyone’s contribution is important here. I hope it will be fun and learn session.

Cheers!

1 Like

Thanks, @TitikMariati for your supprt.

Cheers!

Thanks, it will be fun and learn for all! @ShreyaMusings.

Cheers!

It will be my pleasure hosting you all, @KashifMisidia bhai, @Np45-Nirav , @PrasadVR, @Abhijeet_Uniyal30, @Ssiddharth2000.

Thanks for sharing myths and its findings, @MortenCopenhagen, I will definitely share it during the meet-up.

@NareshDarji bhai, you’re most welcome, please join us that day and share your expert views on those myths.

Cheers!

6 Likes

Excellent topic @AjitThite
I will join :+1:

1 Like

Das verspricht ein interessantes Treffen zu werden @AjitThite, da das Thema sich als sehr ergiebig erweisen könnte.:+1::folded_hands:

1 Like

Best wishes for all the success, my dear friend @AjitThite Ji…
A great initiative… highly appreciate it.
Hope to be there…
Regards
:folded_hands:

1 Like

Thanks for the confirmation, @TusharSuradkar. I will be happy to host!

Cheers!

It will be interesting indeed, do join if possible, @Annaelisa.

Cheers!

1 Like