I am a Level 8 Local Guide with over 8.4 million photo views and thousands of organic contributions. I have dedicated days to this hobby and spent countless hours writing detailed reviews just so people can make better, informed decisions.
However, recently my legitimate reviews are being automatically hidden (shadowbanned) by the spam filter. I have noticed a very frustrating pattern: if I leave a 5-star review, there is no issue at all. But the moment I share a genuine negative experience and leave a 1-star review, the system instantly hides it from the public.
It is incredibly discouraging to spend hours trying to help the community, only to see honest negative feedback punished and censored by a broken algorithm.
Could a human moderator please manually review my account and lift this automated restriction? I just want to continue contributing honestly.
Regarding the extend of your issue it is far beyond a single review. You have written 758 reviews. But only 683 of them are currently public. The difference is the number of reviews that got caught be the spam filters.
Often photo issues can lead to problems with reviews not going public.
The statement “you will get” is an unnecessary exaggeration that can very easily be proven wrong. Make sure to not make such statements that gives the business owners a very easy path to get your negative review removed. Stay facts based.
Thank you so much for taking the time to look into my profile. While doing a massive clean-up of my account based on your advice, I realized that you (and the Google guidelines) were absolutely right on several points, and I appreciate you pointing them out. I have deleted the redundant photos and completely rewritten those specific reviews to be strictly fact-based and free of harsh language.
However, during this deep dive, I also noticed some genuinely frustrating behaviors from the automated filters. I had to delete many perfectly legitimate reviews for places in my hometown where I spent 25 years of my life. It seems the algorithm flagged them as spam simply because I posted or updated them from my current location in Australia.
Furthermore, I realized that some highly defensive businesses (especially those obsessed with maintaining perfect scores) seem to actively misuse the reporting system. It feels like they do everything in their power to flag and remove any critical feedback, regardless of how truthful or fair the review is.
Despite these algorithmic hurdles, I have deleted the unfairly flagged reviews that I didn’t want to fight for, and carefully adjusted the ones I kept. My profile is now fully aligned with the guidelines, and I will proceed to submit the form.