Connect Through Stories: Aunty Paulin’s Coffee Window in Singapore

I usually use the name “Connect Through Stories” for the virtual meetups I host at the beginning of the year. However, this time, I want to change things up. I want to shift the concept to share the beautiful stories I discovered while exploring with Google Maps.

I’ll start this new season with a story from right after I attended ConnectLIVE in Singapore this past July. While exploring the city, I and @irulmusmus discovered a lovely coffee shop owned by Aunty Paulin. She sells coffee right from the window of her home, offering both coffee and non-coffee drinks. The service was fast and incredibly warm. While placing my order, I bumped into a local named Mindy. We exchanged Instagram handles and have been friends ever since!

As it turns out, Paulin was actually featured on the Singapore Instagram page:

Her coffee business is a “family project” designed to keep her active and engaged by meeting new people. Walking away from her coffee window, I felt deeply connected to Paulin’s story. It instantly reminded me of my own mother back home, who keeps herself happily busy with farming in her golden years.

For me, uncovering and listening to the stories behind a location on Google Maps makes us realize that every place has a heartbeat. They are living stories, not just static pins on a map. Find out my review of this place here.

Have you ever encountered a similar story during your explorations? Or perhaps found a business that started simply to keep its owner active and happily busy? I’d love to hear your experiences in the comments below!

16 Likes

Pengalaman yang seru untuk menemukan tempat ini, lokasinya di dalam jalan kecil. Masih ingat sembari menunggu pesanan kita diminta mengisi buku untuk menuliskan ucapan ulang tahun kemerdekaan Singapore. Pengalaman ini semakin berkesan ketika bisa berkenalan dengan warlok yang ramah. @NunungAfuah

1 Like

Oh iya sempat menuliskan ucapan hari kemerdekaan Singapore di buku. Sepertinya saking asiknya ngobrol dengan Mindy, saya lupa hal itu! Sayangnya tidak ada fotonya. Semoga di kesempatan yang akan datang bisa mampir lagi ke sana @irulmusmus

1 Like

It’s amazing to see how a simple coffee stop can lead to new friendships. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Yes! It’s nice to know a local person during our visit. Thanks for stopping by @AkterAshik

1 Like

What a heartwarming story! I went and watched the Instagram post you shared, and I completely fell in love with Aunty Pauline. She seems so kind and creative. I’d love to take a look inside her notebook of short notes.
As for your question, my mother-in-law is incredibly passionate about baking sweets (She bakes birthday cakes for all our family members and relatives​:slightly_smiling_face:). We actually wanted to open a café for her, but unfortunately, it didn’t work out. Still, it’s a dream I keep coming back to :heart:

1 Like

What a lovely and touching story, @NunungAfuah!
​Looking back, I realize that the biggest downside of not joining a walk with an incredible explorer like you in Singapore was missing out on discovering this wonderful spot in person! But I’m so glad you visited Aunty Paulin’s Coffee Window. Not only did you enjoy a great experience, but it’s also such a fantastic effort on your part to support small and women-owned local businesses.

​Every pin on Google Maps really does have a heart and a story behind it.
Thanks for sharing this beautiful connection!:heart:

1 Like

Semangat terus ya mbak e @NunungAfuah :hugs:

1 Like

Sending my warmest regards from Indonesia, my dear @Khatira_SM! I truly admire your beautiful intention to create a special space for your mother-in-law. Even though the cafe hasn’t happened yet, it is such a wonderful dream to have for her. I hope it comes true one day. Thanks for stopping by!

1 Like

Thank you so much for your kind words! To be honest, I didn’t get to explore that much either, my dear friend @KashifMisidia. I think if there’s another CL event in the future, we definitely need to extend our stay for more than two days so we can explore together. Hopefully, we can make that happen at the next CL!

1 Like

Terima kasih Mbak @TitikMariati :sparkles:

1 Like

Sama-sama mbak e @NunungAfuah sayang, terima kasih kembali :wink:
Sehat-sehat ya :hand_with_index_finger_and_thumb_crossed:t2::sparkling_heart::bouquet:

1 Like

Mir fällt dazu gerade nichts ein, @NunungAfuah, aber diese interessante Geschichte ist es sehr wert, erzählt zu werden. :+1::folded_hands:

1 Like

Thanks @Annaelisa for the support. Really appreciate it :sparkles:

1 Like