GauravN's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 2

northern lights

hi 

me and my wife are planning to visit tromso, Norway, by end of october 2017 (27 october to be precise)

our main intention is to see aurora , we are planning to stay there for 4 nights.

kindly suggest me that is it the right time to visit to see aurora?

and are 4 nights enough for tromso, also suggest me for the following:

1) things to do during day time.

2) best location to stay from where i can see aurora all night long.

3) most convenient way of traveling everywhere nearby.

4) i am a vegetarian, so will i get food to eat in local restaurant.

thank you so much.

and if you are travelling to India any time in future then i can always suggest you what to do and what not to do here.

Tromsø, Norway
7 comments
Level 7

Re: northern lights

October is perfect time to see northern lights. They are more common and stronger then than on mid winter. 

If whales are already there on that time, it's awesome way to spend a day. Normally they came on November, but you never know. Good idea is also rent a car and drive around. There is a lot of beautiful landscapes on that area. 
https://www.google.fi/maps/place/9100+Ersfjordbotn,+Norja/@69.6942938,18.6184216,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4... is nice place to see northern lights photos. About 20 min drive from Tromsø. 
Here is photo from there. 
ErsfjordbotnErsfjordbotn

Markus Kiili
Level 7

One more thing. It's very often cloudy in Scandinavia, but often there is holes in cloud cover. I live in Finnish Lapland and I drive often to Norway for clear sky and Norwegians do same to other direction. www.windytv.com have been most reliable cloud forecast so far at least if you check forecast for next few hours. I often check from there clear sky locations and drive to shoot. If you spend only few days at Tromsø without a car, you have to be really lucky to see northern lights. But if you have a car and check the weather forecast, you can see them almost every night. 

Markus Kiili
Level 2

Hei!

Først vil jeg si at Dere er hjertelig velkommen til Tromsø Det er mange ok hoteller å velge i... Ta gjerne kontakt om dere har spørsmål, jeg skal hjelpe dere så godt som mulig. Om Oktober er passe tidspunkt vet man "aldri"... Muligheten er alltid der, men det er været som bestemmer, så om 4 dager er nok...Jeg vil tro det skal gå bra 🙂 jeg tør ikke si ja... 🙂 Her er iallefall et forslag om overnatting i naturen kombinert med mulighet for å se nordlys...

Level 8

That sounds like a lovely trip @GauravN ! The northern lights is a marvelous sight to see. Thank you @MarkusKiili for providing some great travel tips and advice. 

Level 2

thank you so much for your suggestion. 

also please update me on what kind of food do we get in tromso.??

also what are the day time activities in tromso?

Level 2

Hei!

Tenker du da for spise på restaurant / kafe? JEG Tror Det Finnes en Indisk restaurant i Tromsø 🙂 https://www.tripadvisor.co.nz/Restaurants-g190475-Tromso_Troms_Northern_Norway.html Finner dere en Oversikt på Spisesteder i Tromsø. Legg i handlekurv Flere steder Som serverer Vegetar, biff, fisk, skalldyr og Det meste dere Måtte Ønske! Og hennes er Noen greie Forslag til ting A gjøre .....  https://www.visitnorway.com/places-to-go/northern-norway/tromso/things-to-do/
Level 7

thats a good info @MarkusKiili, currently my friend is at Ivalo, couldn't experence the the most beautiful Northen=rn lights, so he is dailama to go Tromoso? or Kiruna ?

which place you sujjest as per the current situation.

thank you 

regards

Manoj