RahmatHarmanP's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

What It's Like to Navigate Jakarta by Commuter line

Commuter need you!Commuter need you!

Mobility transit or simply public transport is one chief characteristic of most metropolitan cities to transport people from one point to another. Jakarta has a commuter rail system known as the commuter line. Here's a daily story using the commuter line and using transit feature on Google Maps #letsguides

Jakarta Commuter Rail Experience

I live on the east side of the city, I’ve been using commuter line nearly every day to reach the city center. Its commuters reaches 1 Million people every day on the Jakarta-Bogor-Tangerang-Bogor route. This time I will tell how Google Maps helps people’s mobility. The traffic situations are unpredictable and it's not easy to deal with especially during busy  hours on weekdays. To arrive on time in Jakarta, often you are required to prepare spare time to travel from point A to point B.There are several transit alternatives in Jakarta, such as using Commuter Line, Trans Jakarta (Bus Rapid Transit) or using Gojek, a motocycle ride sharing. luckily Google Maps provides all the transit features that help my every day and thousands of people who rely mobility with Google maps.

So, How Google Maps helps your transit?

To get the most of Google Maps for your transit , you must  do some settings.

Let's see how to take advantage of this feature. 

1. Commuter Setting
    Do Commuter Setting for home & work locations, Just fill the questions : How do you get to work most day ?, When & What time do you Commute? And Which route do you usually take?  you will get a pop up notification of transit schedule directly on the your mobile. 

Commuter SettingCommuter Setting

2. Know your station and find your nearby station
    of course, do not let yourself miss the station. If you do not know any station yet, always track Train Tracking.

live train tracking on google maplive train tracking on google map
  3. You can find the schedule with Google Map Transit Feature
    Find the schedule and Do not push yourself, Coming up at peak hours on weekdays is a different experience. If it is full, check the next schedule, also on Google Maps . 

4. Travel alternatives
    It would be better if you have a backup plan, if trains are delayed or no train schedule anymore, there are always exciting alternatives in Jakarta like Trans Jakarta, and a transport service that uses motorcycles 

GoJek: alternative transportation in JakartaGoJek: alternative transportation in Jakarta

Some Tips and informations

• Buy Daily Travel Card or Using Debit Card, Almost all Metro Public Transports require you to use this card.
  • You can find the schedule with Google Map Transit Feature
  • If you are a traveller, make sure to catch the train before busy working  hours
  • If You are women, there’s a women-only carriages in trains ( the 1st and the last carriages)
  • Check and keep your belongings
  • Priority Seats available for Elderly Passengers, Pregnant Women, Physically Handicapped and Mother with Infant

Thanks to Google Maps that has helped the mobility of many people in the city cities of the world, and Local Guides who have helped to provide actual information about POI information on Google Maps,

let's share your reviews and suggestions to help others navigate better

Commuter need you!  #letsguides

Jakarta, Indonesia
11 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: What It's Like to Navigate Jakarta by Commuter line

finally! I do love this post! I remember when I was in Jakarta last time, I used bus only. This commuter post is very helpful for another people who want to use commuter in Jakarta and around. Once, I had experience in Singapore MRT and it was really helpful to explore city by myself. 

Me when using Singapore MRTMe when using Singapore MRT

Thanks for sharing @RahmatHarmanP 🙂

Indonesia Local Guides
Level 8

yeayy...great shot, thanks @NunungAfuah for sharing your experience commuting with Singapore MRT.

Trans Jakarta, also one of best transit option to explore Jakarta, although sometimes  it's full of people during busy hour,  commuting using public transportation is fun and efficient way to get around

@NunungAfuah wrote:

@finally! I do love this post! I remember when I was in Jakarta last time, I used bus only. This commuter post is very helpful for another people who want to use commuter in Jakarta and around. Once, I had experience in Singapore MRT and it was really helpful to explore city by myself. Thanks for sharing @RahmatHarmanP 🙂

Level 10

Very detailed and helpful article.

Domestic and international traveller will be helped by your writing. Also specially for local guide community who willing to travel around Jakarta. 

Well done @RahmatHarmanP

*thumbs up 

Connect Moderator

It is not my type mention many friends (I am kidding LOL), but I think my friends will like this post. @KlaudiyaG, @JeslynL, or @TraciC (you do need to check this  one for sure). I really love how @RahmatHarmanP give really detail information with a rich story he has. 🙂

Indonesia Local Guides
Level 8

Bls: What It's Like to Navigate Jakarta by Commuter line

Thanks mas @RahmatHarmanP sharing about Commuter Line. 

Saya menggunakan Commuter Line baru 1 kali, waktu acara meet up Jakarta LG di Pelabuhan Sunda Kelapa. Kami pergi ber 5, karena saya hanya punya kartu e-money 2, jadi harus beli tiket 3 lagi. Di Stasiun Kranji tidak terlalu ramai, jadi beli tiketnya tidak terlalu antri. Tapi waktu pulangnya dari Stasiun Kota, beli tiketnya di Vending Machine. Antrinya cukup panjang dan masih banyak orang yang belum pernah beli tiket di Vending Machine termasuk saya. Sambil antri saya pelajari cara orang lain beli tiket, untung cukup mudah. Saya antri sekitar 15 menit.antri tiket Vending machine di Stasiun Kotaantri tiket Vending machine di Stasiun Kota

Untuk waktu, memang Commuter Line cukup cepat, karena tidak terjebak macet. Kalau hari kerja untuk kenyamanan, sangat jauh dari nyaman. Harus berdesak-desakan, berdiri sepanjang perjalanan. Kalau hari libur atau weekend, kereta cenderung kosong, jadi kita masih bisa dapat tempat duduk. 

Kalau hari kerja, saya selalu menggunakan sepeda motor.

Former Google Contributor

I love posts like this, @RahmatHarmanP

I travelled by the BRT the previous time I was at Jakarta. One time, my friend and I almost got separated as I didn't manage to board the bus due to the crowd but my friend was already on it. THANKFULLY, my friend hopped off before the doors shut. I remember this was during the peak hours and we were just returning back to our accommodation from the Ragunan Zoo - super memorable experience, haha. 

Thanks for putting together this insightful post. Hopefully more local LGs will pick this up and navigate their way around Jakarta more efficiently! 

New to Connect? Check out Help Desk! Always keep in mind the Local Guides program rules when posting.

Level 8

thank you @JeslynL , wow you've been in Jakarta and visited Ragunan before, i believe you have some picture when you there..it's one of the biggest Zoo in the world 

Yes the easiest access to Ragunan Zoo is using Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) We called it "Trans Jakarta".
i believe you will meet a lot of Traveler there and it's  packed full 🙂 lucky you are not separated with your friends .. hahaha, but this will be a memorable fun experience for your story..

hopefully someday, you can explore many new places here when you Jakarta or other cities in Indonesia.. and google map has many features that will help our travel and holiday..

@NunungAfuah , she also have fun experiences join the crush using BRT during peak hours...haha

Connect Moderator

yea, and I got some stuff in my body stuck! Haha.. well, Jakarta is really something 🙂

Indonesia Local Guides
Level 8

@Ddimitra thanks a lot Mbaa... 🙏 
i love how google map simplify our daily activity... hope these simple tips can help anyone who is going to use feature....

@Ddimitra wrote:

Very detailed and helpful article.

Domestic and international traveller will be helped by your writing. Also specially for local guide community who willing to travel around Jakarta. 

@ Well done @RahmatHarmanP

*thumbs up