EyalRose's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5

Walking and mediating in Israel

Hi,

I'm Eyal and this is my first post as a Local Guide. As a researcher who studies the cognitive mechanisms underlying mindfulness mediation, I thought it would be nice to address my first post to all you meditation lovers. Here I wish to recommend the wonderful Olga beach. Olga, or formally Givat Olga (Olga's hill in Hebrew), was founded in the late 19 century but was populated only in the 1950's. It is the western quarter of Hadera (The green city, in Arabic), and is unique in that it has a perfect combination of nature reserve, the Mediterranean, the Hadera stream, and some fine eucalyptus groves, alongside city facilities. I'll use the Ramada hotel as a reference point. about 10-15 minutes walk south on the beach, you will pass the the organized beach and reach the nature reserve with wonderful sandstone rocks. Most of the people stop here and don't cross these rocks, but if you do, you'll find a wide beach with small sea inlets and quite places to meditate.

About 10 minutes walk north of the hotel, you will find a very wide beach with soft sandy dunes. Here and there you would find pleasant sea inlets.

olga1.jpg

Nearby there's the Fisher-men's village, which is more a fishing boats docking bay than an actual village, but in season you may buy a freshly-fished grilled fish. Pass the village facing north, you could see more inlets. If you wish to spend a few days on the beach in a tent, this is the place to do it. Although the view of the power plant's chimneys will initially make you rethink the whole thing, trust me and continue north... (BTW, Olga Beach is considered rather clean, pollution wise, because the wind carries the ashes from the power plant and 2-3K east).

olga2.jpg

This is a great path for walking meditation, and is part of Israel's main trek (Shvil Israel). About 15-20 minute walk, you'll reach the place where the Hadera Stream meets the Mediterranean. Another great quite place to meditate with the sounds of water and waterbirds cry.

olga4.jpg

If you had enough of the Mediterranean, you may walk east alongside the Hadera stream. Within a few minutes walk you will find a cool playground for children and grassy hills. The path is well-marked (again, Shvil Israel), and goes through a pleasant eucalyptus grove (eucalyptus trees were brought here by the British after WW1, after the Ottomans used most of the local trees).

Some notes:

1. The beach and path are completely safe, day and night.

2. The beach near the Hotel tends to be crowded, especially in high season (June to August) or weekends. That said, throughout the week you may find peace and quite before 10am (or even later on Monday-Wednesday).

3. Isreali winter is rather easy. I, for one, prefer the beach during the fall and winter. Just dress warm and enjoy the solitude and the roar of the sea.

olga3.jpg

Olga Beach, Hadera