ValeriaA_'s post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Tunnels under Buenos Aires City - My visit to EL ZANJON

Hi Local Guides from all around the world. It's good to make another post and share it with you 🙂

This time I would like to tell you about my visit to El Zanjon with @santiagoirale, where we could walk through mysterious tunnels under the neighborhood of San Telmo in Buenos Aires City.

WhatsApp Image 2018-01-29 at 10.22.02.jpeg

When you enter the place it just looks like an old house (a "chorizo"=sausage house, because it's long and it has many rooms together).

WhatsApp Image 2018-01-29 at 10.22.03 (1).jpeg

The house belonged to a very rich family. Later on they had to sell it because of an epidemic of yellow fever, caused by pollution in the water. They moved to Recoleta neighborhood and their house became a "Conventillo". Conventillos were places where immigrants used to live as they were a cheap option. There were people from very different nationalities, which meant different traditions. Sometimes families from 7 people or more lived in the same room. And all the place only had two toilets and one kitchen!

Many years later the conventillo was practically destroyed. Take a look at the walls:

WhatsApp Image 2018-01-29 at 10.22.03.jpeg

A european man bought the place with the idea of building a restaurant but as he was digging holes to make all the installations he found an underground river and houses around it. So that's how EL ZANJÓN became a thing.

Take a look at this 360 picture I took there! That's what you see when you go downstairs 🙂

The place is really amazing, as it means that there were people living underground and around a river. Unfortunately taking pictures in the river part was not allowed, but the smell of humidity was amazing, taking into account that we were standing 10 cm over the "napas" (underground water). I could take pictures of some archeological rests that belonged to the families who lived there:

WhatsApp Image 2018-01-29 at 10.22.03 (4).jpegWhatsApp Image 2018-01-29 at 10.22.03 (3).jpeg

Now, as everything has been refurbished to be a museum, there are some pictures and old paintings of the time, showing how everything was. Here's another picture:

WhatsApp Image 2018-01-29 at 10.22.03 (2).jpeg

I hope you've enjoyed this post as much as I've enjoyed my visit to El Zanjón. If you ever visit Buenos Aires, I would recommend you to go there! The visit lasts about an hour and it's worth it 🙂

After that we had lunch at Mc Donald's and went to the Costanera Ecological Reserve in Puerto Madero neighborhood. Check my recap here!

Argentina | Follow me on Maps! | IG
El Zanjón - Defensa, Buenos Aires, Argentina
48 comments
Level 8

Re: Tunnels under Buenos Aires City - My visit to EL ZANJON

wow great loves to visit Buenos Aires one day 🙂 @ValeriaA_

@ValeriaA_ wrote:

Hi Local Guides from all around the world. It's good to make another post and share it with you 🙂

This time I would like to tell you about my visit to El Zanjon with @santiagoirale, where we could walk through mysterious tunnels under the neighborhood of San Telmo in Buenos Aires City.

Former Google Contributor

Hey @ValeriaA_,

Thank for this great post again. Very interesting indeed!

Best regards,

Georges

Please consider reading this post before sending me a Private Message - Private Messages and Google Moderators
Level 10

Thank's @Surendra! You can visit Buenos Aires anytime you want 🙂 

Surendra ha escrito:

wow great loves to visit Buenos Aires one day 🙂 @ValeriaA_

@ValeriaA_ wrote:

Level 10

Thank you @GeorgesHR! I'm glad you liked it 🙂

GeorgesHR ha escrito:

Hey @ValeriaAumasque,

Thank for this great post again. Very interesting indeed!

Best regards,

Georges

Level 10

This is a very interesting story @ValeriaA_ Thanks for sharing in the details the story of 

El Zanjon with us. I hope in the future I would pay a visit to El Zanjon if I eventually visit Buenos Aires. 

Level 10

Thank you @HelloSamsonR! You should visit El Zanjon, it's not expensive and it's worth it 🙂

HelloSamsonR ha escrito:

This is a very interesting story @ValeriaAumasque Thanks for sharing in the details the story of 

El Zanjon with us. I hope in the future I would pay a visit to El Zanjon if I eventually visit Buenos Aires. 

Level 10

Hey @OSAMA look at this post! I knew you were waiting for it 😄

Level 10

@ValeriaA_ 

@ValeriaA_ wrote:

Thank you @HelloSamsonR! You should visit El Zanjon, it's not expensive and it's worth it 🙂

HelloSamsonR ha escrito:

This is a very interesting story @ValeriaA_ Thanks for sharing in the details the story of 

Perhaps you need to share me more information about that lets see :). 

Level 10

@santiagoirale you should post some pictures you've taken with your phone! I've only posted mine hehe