Jordmate's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Treasures to be discovered when Checking Facts

A Bitcoin Treasure found on the path to update "Missing Info" on Google MapsA Bitcoin Treasure found on the path to update "Missing Info" on Google MapsTreasures are around you everywhere and waiting to be discovered when "Checking Facts" and "Uncover missing info".

Just last weekend I was performing a some Google Maps updates to local businesses around my home when I found and purchased a Bitcoin!

Firstly let me let you know how I managed to find the option to check facts and uncover missing info.

1. I went to Google maps on my mobile device:
  2. Choose the three horizontal bars on the left of the search bar.
  3. Clicked "Your contributions"
  4. Under the title "Improve the map near you" there are two buttons "Check the facts" and "Uncover missing info"
  5. Click on "Check the facts" and immediately you will be presented with little plus signs in orange circles.  These are places that require info updated.

But let me get back to my tips on how I would suggest updating and adding reviews to different locations:

Now back to the story ...
Last weekend I set out to investigate and correct “check facts” + “uncover missing info” in my local area on Google Maps. After finding and updating a few businesses with phone numbers and websites, I entered a thrifty shop to update the same when I found the above Bitcoin for sale. What a treasure! I immediately purchased this golden find and thought how cool to find these little gems - of which I don’t think I would have found if it weren’t for the fact-finding mission I had just commenced.  So with this promise of reward, I would like to offer a few tips to my fellow ‘Local Guides’ with my ideas on how to review your destinations and provide useful information.

Is there a phone number or WiFi available?Is there a phone number or WiFi available?Tip 1: Is there a telephone at the location, or business number to leave with the review?  You may find a number listed on the Google Maps listing, but if it's not there - it would be great to add it.  Maybe there is a public telephone out the front or charging stations for mobiles at the location. With this instance, there was a Telstra public phone and free Wifi (what a bonus!)

Is there disabled parking available?Is there disabled parking available?Tip 2: Can wheelchairs access the location, or is there disabled parking? Sometime you will find lifts at the venue and they can be indispensable.

What is the operating hours of the venue?What is the operating hours of the venue?Wonderful little cafe shop around the corner from where I liveWonderful little cafe shop around the corner from where I liveTip 3: What's the operating hours, are they closed on Tuesday or Sunday? Wouldn't it be terrible to turn up to pick up an item and the store closed 15 minutes ago or it the only day of the week they close? So when updating information keep this in mind and consider the people queuing your information to find those gems.

Is that Business moved?  Where are they now, can you confirm any details?Is that Business moved? Where are they now, can you confirm any details?Tip 4: Has the venue closed, another issue for the unsuspecting Google Maps user. Maybe you can update the entry with the new (confirmed) location. Think of all the happy travelers you're bringing joy to.

Does the venue have a website that is current?Does the venue have a website that is current?Tip 5: Do they have a website? Is the site listed on Google Maps and does it actually work when you browse to the URL. These sites for businesses can be invaluable assisting users with detailed information.

Is there parking, how much parking and is there a time limit?Is there parking, how much parking and is there a time limit?

Tip 6: As mentioned previously "Parking", how much parking is available and what are the time limits? Is there another level of parking may be a lower basement that not many people use and you're bound to get a spot there every time.

Is that public Transport available?  Some bus detail is extremely usefulIs that public Transport available? Some bus detail is extremely usefulTip 7: Public Transport is a big help for many Google Map users. Can you catch a bus nearby? I know in my area where I catch the train the bus stop has moved around the corner - and giving this pearl of wisdom can make someone's day.

Hope you have fun updating Google Map details like I do and maybe we can catch up sometime for a Fun Fact Finding "Meet-up" here in Melbourne Australia sometime soon. I'd love to meet you all. I will be posting a schedule meet up in the near future.

Cheers,
Richard 😉 aka Jordmate

Cheers
Richard
Melbourne VIC, Australia
8 comments
Level 8

Re: Treasures to be discovered when Checking Facts

Nice tips Richard and helpful as well! Hope to put it to use soon:)

Cheers

P.S. What do you plan to do with the bitcoin?:)

Level 8

Hi @Prodeep,

Thank you for your kind words - I’m sure you’ll do great work in updating your places of interest. Regarding the bitcoin it’s only a token for fun there is no value in it so I plan to keep it and use it to reminent me how the crypto currency on the block chain might be going. 

Where are you planning to visit next?

cheers,

Richard

Cheers
Richard
Level 8

Hi @Jordmate,

No major upcoming trips planned as yet. Did a south India trip in Feb with family, flew to Madurai and drove down to Rameswaram and further on to Dhanushkodi (where the two oceans meet). Returned and flew back to Chennai for Pondicherry and back.

Going to watch an IPL cricket match in Mumbai at Wankhade stadium this Sunday.

How about your travel plans?

Level 8

Hi @Prodeep,

I just came back from Vietnam with my wife after attending my brother's wedding.  It was a great visit and trip.  I hope to travel to Europe sometime soon as I have never been there.  But currently, I'm busy being a local guide for my hometown of Melbourne.  Have you always lived in India?

Richard

Cheers
Richard
Level 8

Hi @Jordmate that sounds like a lot of fun! Never been to Vietnam before, only heard stories:). I am born n brought up here, but had a chance to travel a few places. Years ago I too attended a wedding in US but also had the opportunity to travel to NYC, Boston, New Orleans, etc but never been on the west coast. Went for project work to the middle east and had a chance to live and work in London on company assignment. Still to do all of Europe 🙂 Any plans popping in Mumbai enroute to Europe?

Level 8

That would be excellent to drop into see you in Mumbai @Prodeep .

I did visit USA a few times and found NYC amazing.

This is one of my visits to Missouri back a few years ago ...

American Geocache

Kind regards, Richard 

Cheers
Richard
Level 10

Checking facts is a favourite pastime of mine, mostly because it's easy points and it adds to the validity of both Google Maps and one's own contributions! Speaking of which, I see you've found a bitcoin physical token. What thrift shop did you find that in? I'm an avid cryptocurrency trader/blockchain enthusiast and I would like to get my hands on a few tokens that I can hold in my hand! 🙂

Level 8

Hi @Briggs

Yes it is cool fun checking facts. I love the fact that my investigative efforts are rewarded and I’m helping with accuracy of the Maps. 

I found the bitcoin in a Supa Bargins thrifty shop in Keilor Road Niddre (https://goo.gl/maps/jZPBXoqs44n Supa Bargains
467 Keilor Rd, Niddrie VIC 3042
(03) 9379 6899)

I was so pleased to have found it as the physical coin is so cool. 

Good of luck with your fact finding. 

Do you have any other coins other than Bitcoin, like Ethereum or Dash?

•  All the best & kind regards, Richard (aka Jordmate 
Cheers
Richard