linhloveplaces's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

Tips to commute in Berlin

Hi guys, if you are in Berlin, this post is for you!

[video]

• How much?

Subscription: Public transportation is vital to anyone living abroad. Therefore, I subscribed for a 1-year contract with the Berlin transportation company, which reduced the normal monthly price from 81eur to 63eur, under the utmost term that I have to pay for 12 months, no less. If I end my contract earlier than the end of 12th month, the total price will bounce up to 81eur/month, and you have to pay for the gap. On my last day in Berlin, I had to deal with this issue, needed to convince the Berlin transportation company to keep my reduced rate of 63eur/month in many ways: visa proof, flight ticket proof, de-registration proof.

Short term AB/BCbundles: 1 week ticket costs around 33eur. Bundle of 4 tickets cost 9eur.

Single AB/BC ticket: 2.8eur. Single ABC ticket: 3.4eur, in case you go to Postdam or Schoenfeld Airport.

• What to do while commuting?

Blinkist. Spotify + dance. Printed books. German exercise. Or just breath.

• Most favorite?

Pets. I mostly saw people with dogs. Besides, I picked up Suri-a rabbit once with sis Linh Pham, and Côla-a cat once with Tung Nguyen. All eyes on us.

• Least favorite?

The smell. It’s public transport. It’s Berlin. In winter, the smell comes from long-time-no-sun-shine clothes. In summer, it comes from the body. Meanwhile, in Paris, people smell so good!

• More tools to make it easier?

I love apps. So, there are 3 apps that I highly recommend for Berlin transportation.
1. Google Maps. In sync with the in-home app of Berlin transportation company, but much better for visual people like me to navigate.
2. BVG. Schedule, notice, navigation, online ticket purchasing, they have it all. I mostly used this to count down minutes of upcoming bus & train. Time is precious. Berliners are obsessed about time time time!!!
3. Ticket app. Also the latest apps from the company. Only to buy tickets with simple design than the BVG app.

• Last but note least, here are facts to brag your locality

Slogan of Berlin transportation company is “Weil wir dich lieben”, which means “Because we love you” (if you pay your due).
The voice you hear when train doors are opening “Einsteigen bitte!” and closing “Zurück bleiben bitte!”,  which mean “Please enter!” and “Please stay back!”.

Berlin, Germany
1 comment
Level 8