RahulSarkar's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

The joy of my roots

I am truly excited to participate in the chance of being apart of an amazing meet at San Francisco. The chance in one in a million.

I am sharing an article  i had written a few years back during my travel to the Laxmi Vilas Palace,in the state of Gujarat,India. I choose to share this because the eclectic aura of this palace is something that i would like to portray in my work. Truly history is a very interesting subject to me and ensure to engage with its may offerings as often as i can.

February 2015 | Vadodara | Gujarat 

It was the onset of winter, and i had just stepped into the final semester at Fashion School. On being asked to assist at the NIFT Craft Exhibit at Vadodara, i didn't have second thoughts. In six months time, i was to bid adieu to Gujarat, and i couldn't have left without seeing the grandest of the grand.

Set in a historic city, that has the aroma and hues of Gujarat, Vadodara emancipates a voice for the future, neatly wrapped in a package of rooted culture and tradition with a modernist approach, A vision that was given birth by the founders of this city.

On a personal note, i believe that a city with many lakes breathes life. I was easily swayed on entry.

Comparisons never justify if i go by the philosophy, to each his own. However, i couldn't help but stop gathering reasons to love this place. Was it the conjuncture of good things too many? I'd like to think that education played a role in giving the city a diverse edge. From artists to musicians, dancers and doctors, writers and engineers, the list of future leaders were infinite. MS University was a godly patron to many from the past.The profound work of the university continues till today.

This however is the not the sole reason to respect the Gaekwads. On my little education trip, i had my eyes set on some other magnificence. What the royal family of Baroda call their home, is a dream set in reality.

The Laxmi Vilas Palace.

I wont go overboard with its description for nothing surpasses beyond sheer grandeur.

While i devoted two hours of my wasteful life into serenading the walls and pathways of this architectural beauty, i let my imagination delve into history.

Every room had a style, every utility a story.It was as if i was there, feeling and mesmerizing everything i could, as deeply as i could. 

A blend of sensibilities, the art and architecture had glimpses of the Renaissance period blending with Indian styles. Laxmi Vilas Palace was probably among the first of Indian palaces that was immensely diverse in its aesthetic. Usually too much is always too much. However excess was well spaced out allowing breathability of every thing that there was within.

Photography was strictly prohibited, but the last time i checked, we students religiously broke them. I ensured the use of my phone camera to the full maximum. I had embedded the palace in my DNA however owing to the digital natives we are, there were updates to be made and dp's to be changed. 

Time flew and dusk fell. I walked out with my heart brimming full of joy. That day,a memory was made,a spark was triggered and I was inspired for good.

Laxmi Vilas Palace, Moti Baug, Vadodara, Gujarat, India