Rezgar's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

The Apadana Palace

The Apadana Palace of Shush was the winter palace of the Achaemenid Kings and the main palace of Darius I. This palace was built on the orders of the great Achaemenid king of the years 515_521 BC in Susa (ancient city) on the remains of Elamite. The walls of the palace are of clay and its columns are of stone.

The Darius Palace has several units, including the General Bar, the Harem, the Gate and the Palace of Recreation, as well as three central courtyards. The interior walls of the palace are painted with glazed bricks with immortal sepulcher designs, winged valves and the role of lilies of the blue lotus, whose remains are kept in exterior and interior museums.

The area of the Apadana Palace or Palace is 10434 meters. The palace design is with 3 Ivan with the column on its northern, eastern, and western front. The central hall is 58 by 58 meters and has 36 columns. The height of the columns is about 20 meters and is made with cowhide columns. The porches each have two rows of six columns.

Source: Wikipedia
Photo: By Me

The Apadana PalaceThe Apadana Palace

Best Regards
Rezgar

کاخ آپادانا شوش، Shush, Khuzestan Province, Iran
4 comments
Level 8

Re: The Apadana Palace

Hi @Rezgar

Thank you for sharing this historical site.

Cheers

Level 10

Thank you, my dear friend, @Badruddeen

Best Regards
Rezgar

Level 6

@Rezgar I am wondering about the water that once fed this palace... do you think they had step wells like the ones in India? Actually I am now wondering if there may be 100s & 100s of stepwells, as Iran can look very dry (just like Rajasthan).

I did find a stepwell, but it was in Meybud, very small... I bet there are loads in Iran.

Many thanks for continuing to show us Iran, please don't stop!

Level 10

Thank you for your attention, my dear friend, @James8Arthur

Best Regards
Rezgar