abdulrifaia's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Schengen Visa: 4 Mistakes You Should NOT Commit

I arrived at the French Embassy 30 minutes before the scheduled interview at 8am. There were other applicants who arrived ahead of me and by the time I wrote my name on the handwritten list, I was the 29st.

Gladly, when we were by the embassys door, they changed the system, and called out peoples names according to the pre-scheduled list they have. Several names were called, most of who werent there yet. I automatically became Applicant #2.

Steps 1 and 2 were a breeze. They only asked for my passport, flight and hotel bookings. Second, they took my biometrics: scan of fingerprints and photo.

Step 3 was when I made several boo-boos. Its good that the consul was patient enough to allow me to put my documents in order, despite the fact that he had to call me 3 or 4 times until he was satisfied. And here Ill share with you the four mistakes you should not commit to have a faultless embassy visit:

Mistake # 1: Have your bank statements printed in large paper.
The embassy deals with a lot of documents per day, and if your attached documents are not in the standard letter or legal size, you will be giving them a massive headache.

What to do: If the bank re-prints your statement in a paper double the standard size (just like they did mine), you can have it photocopied in a reduced size. Otherwise, you can just log into your bank account online and print it yourself!

Mistake # 2: Only bring the originals. Do not photocopy your documents.
When I thought all my papers were in order, the consul asked for my travel insurance. I handed him the original, still in plastic. Another mistake! He handed it back to me, and I had to take another trip to the copier.

What to do: Sure, bring in the originals, but make sure everything, as in everything has a copy.

Mistake # 3: Submit your documents in a disorderly manner.
By this time, Im sure I didnt miss a thing anymore.
Or so I thought.

The consul shoved back the papers and specifically instructed me to arrange my files according to the chronological order they have listed.

What to do:

Be compliant and do as they say.

For Tourist visa application, they should be organized in this specific manner:
1. Signed application for Schengen visa with photo + 1 extra photo.
2. Proof of accommodations
3. Proof of employment (if any)
4. Proof of income
5. Identity / Marital status
6. An international insurance
Not 1, 3, 5, 6, 4, 2.

Mistake # 4: Leave some blanks in your application form.
I was already getting discouraged when for the nth time, the consul looked at me straight in the eye with a tone thats overbearing and said, Its really not that complicated. I missed out some items in the application form.

What to do:
Even if the question is not applicable to you, write N/A. Do not leave it blank.
Had I not committed any of those mistakes, I wouldve been out of the embassy by 9am! Do yourself a favor. For an effortless visit at the embassy, dont make the same blunders I did.

BONUS tip:
So, this is not one of my gaffes, but I thought it might be helpful that you should know to bring the exact amount for the visa fee, which is 60,00. At the time of this writing, the prevailing peso equivalent is PhP 3,730.00. They do not give out change, and they do not accept coins. Because I didnt have smaller notes with me and I felt like tipping the embassy P10, I shelled out P3,740.00. If you do not want to feel shortchanged in any way, you might as well bring :
three (3) P1,000s, one (1) P 500, (1) P 100, (1) P 50, and four (4) P 20s.

Have a stress-free Embassy visit!!!

Stroy From My Beloved Friend @Manila

muhammad zen
Manila, NCR, Philippines