KseniaM's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Maternity leave and day care in Switzerland

Swiss day care system is well thought trough and very attractive. In view of a very short maternity leave you can leave your baby within the system very early. Most of the day care facilities are private and are opened from 6am to 7pm. It is relatively easy to get a place there. And they offer such cooool activities, that I would go there for fun myself 🙂

Official maternity leave lasts in Switzerland the whole 14 weeks starting from the day of birth. Mothers get 80% of their salary, but max CHF 196 per day. There is no official leave before the due date, but most of the doctors issue a sick certificate in the most of cases two weeks prior to the due date depending on your health situation. Larger companies may also have policies and continue to pay you the whole salary and/or increase your paid maternity leave up to 6m. If you are very lucky, you may get an additional unpaid vacation to be able to stay longer at home.

The majority of moms return back to work once their babies turn 6 months. It is a cultural thing and no one questions them! The “maternity” leave for fathers is legally set to one day.

There are rumors about children day care costs in Switzerland. Wanna know some truth? 🙂 Yep, it is expensive. Some day care facilities just have a fix rate (e.g. CHF 120 PER DAY in the area of Zürich) and do not ask any questions. Some others require to show your tax declaration and link the price you have to pay to your income and wealth. I will give you an example of a day care facility nearby. If you earn less than CHF 40k annually you will pay CHF 33 per day. If you earn about CHF 70k – about CHF 67 and if you earn over CHF 120k you will pay CHF 112. Notice – the family income is considered in total. Prices are higher in Zürich (the upper level would be over CHF 150) and for kids under 18 months (130% of the highest rate).

So kids seem to be a very pricey hobby in Switzerland. But I think every parent will agree with me - its totally worth it!!!

20180504_165042-02.jpeg

Zürich, Switzerland