philip102's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Kalanggaman Island: Philippines' Island Paradise

Picturesque Beach Paradise

Island's Crushed Shell SandbarIsland's Crushed Shell SandbarThe gateway to Kalanggaman IslandThe gateway to Kalanggaman IslandThe wharf area going to Kalanggaman IslandThe wharf area going to Kalanggaman IslandThe travelers. A group of 10+The travelers. A group of 10+Approaching the Kalanggaman Island via motorized banca (boat).Approaching the Kalanggaman Island via motorized banca (boat).Finally, the beach heaven, paradise.Finally, the beach heaven, paradise.That's the beach signageThat's the beach signageImmediately started capturing best spots.Immediately started capturing best spots.Click No. 1Click No. 1Click No. 2Click No. 2Click No. 3Click No. 3Click No. 4Click No. 4Click No. 5Click No. 5You can grill your favorite seafood and meat.You can grill your favorite seafood and meat.Just like this.Just like this.Can't get enough.Can't get enough.The other side of the beach.The other side of the beach.Raw and beautiful.Raw and beautiful.Unspoiled.Unspoiled.Standing thru the times.Standing thru the times.Rocky and beautiful.Rocky and beautiful.Our camping tent.Our camping tent.Going to Cebu via Ship. Another beautiful place.Going to Cebu via Ship. Another beautiful place.

Leyte's Pride: Beach Heaven on Earth

Kalanggaman Island is a minuscule island (islet) paradise located in Palompon, Leyte. It is between Malapascua, Cebu and Palompon, Leyte. It is famous for its beautiful sandbars, turquoise water, raw beauty.

Kalanggaman Island is one of the many beautiful 7,000+ island beaches in the Philippines. But if beauty alone is not enough for you, then Kalanggaman Island has more to offer. It was unknown, unmapped for the longest time, but it has now attracted many Filipino and foreign tourists because of its pristine and secluded beauty, and with the drive of many beach lovers to find the best beaches on earth.

To know more about the history of the island, Kalanggaman is a Visayan word for "bird." Why is it so? Because it resembles a bird using a drone camera from above. Also, it used to be a paradise for migratory birds many years ago. But just like any other places, it has now become the migratory place for many tourists.

For many beaches that I had been in the Philippines, Kalanggaman Island is a paradise that created for people to appreciate the power of nature. It has a magical effect on every tourist because something lovely can happen after visiting the place, be it to your love life, perception about life, and how nature has perfectly created a place like Kalanggaman.

The best time to go is summer (March to June) in the Philippines. But you can also go from December to February. July to November is normally rainy season and typhoon season, so check first the weather forecast before visiting during this period.

Planning for that dream holiday vacation? Kalanggaman island is the perfect place to visit, especially for the lovers and individuals who wanted to escape the busy life of the city. I do not recommend the place with the kids because it is perfectly experienced with your partner and friends.

Now heading to the Island?

Please note that the island carries some sense of exclusivity because only 500 tourists are allowed for a day. The local tourism said that this number is based on a study on the carrying capacity of the island and is non-negotiable. Better to arrange with your local tourism officer before heading to the place.

Just like any other beach island paradise, travel is one of the considerations. You have to pay for your effort to see a perfect place like this. Luckily, you don’t have to journey that long to reach this island paradise. There are two choices, if you are already in Malapascua Island in Cebu, this is only 1 ½ hour boat ride away from Kalanggaman. And this is one of the many offers of the resorts in Malapascua.

There is only one tour package, and the price starts at P700 to P900 depending on where you availed your tour. The boat leaves at 9 am and arrives back at 4:30 pm.

The second choice is via Palompon, Leyte. This route is the one I chose since I came from Manila. This is the fastest route because I flew directly to Tacloban airport and then travel for 3 hours to Palompon town. From there, Kalanggaman is only an hour away by regular boat.

Regardless of your point of origin, it is mandatory for tourists to register with Palompon Eco-Tours. Local tourists would have to pay a separate fee of P150. The fee is P500 for international visitors. I think it is reasonable because that amount can surely give you a worth of your penny.

During high tide, the majestic view of a hidden sandbar is soaked with water. Sadly, due to hazards, tourists are no longer allowed to lay foot on the sandbar, which is again understandable and mandatory to abide. Safety first!

Please note that there are no establishments or privately owned resorts in the whole island, you have to bring your own food and tent if you want to stay overnight. Camping is the only way to spend a night in this remote paradise, and you’ve had to pay P225 for an overnight camping fee (inclusive of entrance).

Staying true to its promise of a quiet weekend getaway, there is no electricity and barely any signal in the whole island. Of course, there is nothing much to do aside from relaxing by the beach, swimming, and enjoying what Mother Nature has to offer. Isn't that amazing? On the upside, the absence of light pollution makes stargazing really enjoyable.

Want to know more about the Island?

Kalanggaman is a small island (islet) of raw beauty, so exploring this island from end to end is possibly less than an hour. The island is surrounded by powdery white sand on one side and smooth rocks on the other, a perfect match, isn't it? It is a perfect place for snorkelling during high tide.

As I mentioned, there are no restaurants or food vendors on the Island. But there is a store that sells mineral water and soft drinks. I highly recommend bringing your own food if you plan on staying overnight.

Kalanggaman is notoriously known for its high current that runs at the tip of the sandbar, so no swimming is allowed on that part. If the sandbar reappears, it is only then when tourists are allowed to walk along the sandbar. It was one of the longest stretches of sandbars in the Philippines.

The turquoise colored waters surround the sandbar as if highlighting a walkable narrow path to paradise. The water is so calm on one side and rough on the other. I immediately fell in love with the sight of crystal clear waters as they blended with the white sand of the sandbar.

The only downside is that the sand isn’t fine or powdery, like that of Boracay Island. It is like crushed shells under your feet. Walking along the sand under the blistering heat is something you have to endure. While palm trees fill the island, the sand burns where there is no shade, especially during midday.

To end my story, Kalanggaman Island is the perfect place for those who want to recharge mental pressures and emotional stresses. How I wish we can do this all the time.

#visitphilippines #wowphilippines #itismorefuninthephilippines #amazingphilippines #philippinesbest

Travel Tips

Here are the few things to remember before heading to the Island:

– Call Palompon Eco-Tourism at (053) 555 9731 or 0926 816 4005 for availability.

– Restrooms are common, better than nothing, good for mother nature, too.
– No restaurant, no bar, no nightlife; but the moon and stars are guaranteed. 
– No electricity, but there is so much energy; Bring a power bank and lights.
– Mobile signal is intermittent, social media is limited. What a lovely scenario.
– No potable water; bring your own water is recommended. Ask for sharing.
– No restaurants but grills are provided, but of course, bring your own charcoal.
– Enjoy! You are there to enjoy, leave your baggage in life, for the moment.

Philip Alvarez
Kalanggaman Island, Philippines
8 comments
Level 8

Re: Kalanggaman Island: Philippines' Island Paradise

Nice photos! Thanks @philip102 for sharing with us. 🙂

Level 9

@LyricMitra, my pleasure. just sharing for others to consider among their travel bucket lists 🙂

Philip Alvarez
Level 9

Thanks @philip102

for perfect photos!

I think you have wonderful time in such nice place!

the beach is amazing!

Level 9

@helga19, thank you so much, mam! we both following each other on instagram. thanks for connecting always 🙂 Hope to meeting you soon.

Philip Alvarez
Former Google Contributor

Hello @philip102,

We are happy to see your beautiful post here. Thanks for sharing! Did you take these photos? Please quote the source/give credit to the author of the information you posted. You might not know but it is not allowed to post content on Connect that infringes on anyone else’s intellectual property.

For further information, please review Local Guides community policy.

Please consider reading this post before sending me a Private Message - Private Messages and Google Moderators
Level 9

@GeorgesHR, yes, sir Georges. all the pictures are mine. i never got any photos on google or any social media and post here. thank you for the reminder. i really appreciate it 🙏

Philip Alvarez
Level 9

Thanks @philip102 for your kind words!

I always watch your beautiful photos in Instagram.

Level 9

@helga19, that is so lovely of you, thank you so much, mam Inna! 🙂 

Philip Alvarez