NoelB's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 1

How to avoid getting cheated by scrupulous taxi drivers

It has been a common issue to be a victim of overcharged fare by taxi drivers in the Philippines. Once in every people's lives here may have experienced being cheated by taxi drivers. Especially in big cities in the Philippines. I have heard stories from families, relatives, friends and coworkers about how they were cheated in taking a taxi ride. There are several ways to avoid these if you get the information right.

Baguio, Cordillera Administrative Region, Philippines
1 comment
Level 7

Re: How to avoid getting cheated by scrupulous taxi drivers

I'm not sure it's as bad as before now that they're in competition with the likes of Uber, but I guess it still happens sometime. Here's what you can do:

When you get in the cab, tell the cabbie your destination. If he does not turn on the meter, tell him politely that you want to use the meter (this is important at the start of the trip and DO NOT BE SHY about it). If he refuses and complains about traffic (or anything else) tell him that you'd like to get off. If he asks for additional fare on top of the metered fare it's up to you. Usually I discourage the practice because the more they get it the more they'll feel entitled to it -- except I guess when the traffic is REALLY bad, then something additional can help out the driver's income.

It only (usually) gets bad during rush hours, holidays, etc. This is why I don't use taxis that much anymore; for a more headache-free experience just get an Uber 🙂