Anonymous's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to Enjoy Travel in Japan and What to Bring

The obvious answer for this would be a camera, money, snacks, and maybe a smartphone - a bunch of travel guides, too.     But, what if you threw all of that stuff away and relied solely on the goodness of the locals to show you and teach you about their culture?   To really enjoy the trip some travel enthusiasts will bring a locally prepared lunch box that's replete with seasonal vegetables, fish, or chicken, perhaps made by a local granny.   It'll probably have some rare mountain herbs or greens in it.   Most all of them have rice.   However, not all of us travelers will want a chilled lunch box.    The true Japan lover will most likely bring some snacks instead and most definitely Japanese rice brewed sake!   

IMG_1471.jpgd

Japan has the most extensive railway network in the world!   I believe there are over 9,261 train stations just in Japan alone, and each station offers its own charm, scenery, and of course sake ( pronounced sa - kAi) depending on your phonetics.

NiigataNiigata

The views each season are priceless.  The little snack on my table is a glutenous rice cake that's been pounded and softened into a sweet mochi, and then enjoyed with a nicely chilled rice brew.     Rice wine or brew is a highly refined beverage made from rice and pairs well with just about all Japanese food.   Flavor profiles vary from sweet to fruity.    From the train window you can slowly sip on sake and nibble on Japanese rice treats and really feel and absorb Japanese passions.     If you are a non-alcoholic drinker then you can try something called "amazake" a non-alcoholic variation of Japanese sake.   It can be enjoyed hot.   

2015-12-13 at 09-07-51_HDR_HDR.jpg

If you take breaks and get off the train, you can try warm or hot sake somewhere at a local restaurant with a local.   Hot sake can be felt all the way inside your nose  and it clears the sinuses.    

IMG_1464_HDR.jpgI

In the summer you can get off at a station and try mizore sake frozen over a plate of yakitori - skewered chicken!  The options are endless and enjoyable, but not every place offers this type of rare sake frozen.  Extremely rare and most likely seasonal.  

I had this in Chiba Prefecture.    As you travel you meet people, and from them you learn about their country through good drinks and eats.   Every train station offers something to remember and the people you meet are amazing.    

Throw it all away and go for it!

Enjoy

Japan
1 comment
Google Vendor

Re: How to Enjoy Travel in Japan and What to Bring

Hi @Anonymous,

Your post made me travel in Japan! Thank you for sharing it with us. I bet you had an amazing experience. I never tried rice wine, I wonder how it tastes. What is your favorite Japanese dish and snack? 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!