rajatc's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 3

Exploring the Ruins of Vakataka Kingdom

The Vakataka Kingom Ruins, MansarThe Vakataka Kingom Ruins, Mansar

Earlier during my trip to Ramtek, I could only explore the Ramtek Temples and the surrounding lakes in this region. However, this time, I returned to the same place with a different perspective. My quest was to look for the ruins of the Vakataka Kingdom, which are as old as 200 Century B.C. It is only recently that the excavations are one a full swing, unearthing ancient secrets buried for ages. Here’s what I found here in the ruins of Vakataka Kingdom, this weekend.

About Mansar And How To Reach

Link to the Map: Mansar, Ramtek

Just 45 km East of the Nagpur City is the spiritual abode of Ramtek. The entry to Ramtek temples takes place through a small hilly corridor called the Mansar village.

Ages ago, these villages were only connected to the city with Maharashtra State Transport Buses. On rare occasions, people from one outskirts of the city would travel to the other corner.

The earliest revelations about the Vakataka Kingdom was brought out by the Nagpur University.

In the early 1994-95, the Archaeological Survey of India officially started the excavation of the  Vakataka Kingdom ruins. This revelations were about to change the course of history for the people here.

The one peculiarity in exception to the other ancient Indian structures is that the entire structure is built in brickwork, not stone. 

Now here comes the question, when did we actually migrate from stone to bricks?

What is even more fascinating is the binding materials used for the construction work which has kept these structures intact for so many years!

Unearthing this fact would be a remarkable discovery for the modern-day architecture.

Exploring The Place

I walked in through the mysterious gates of the high walled perimeter of the Vakataka Kingdom Ruins this Sunday.

At the entrance, there is a brief history on revelations about the place which is worth a read. As you walk in through the gates and enter the area, you can see the flamed flowers of the Palash trees, line all around the area.

Essentially, there are three parts to this place.

First, is the pyramidal palace at the entrance, about 100 feet in height.

The second part is the Panchkoni Shivalingam on top of a hillock, from where several artistic collections such as murals, effigies, coins and jewels have been recovered.

Finally, another pyramidal structure on top of another hillock to the North West of the main palace, similar in design but in the form of a lotus when viewed from top.

We check out the significance of each place one by one.

Read More of the Post

More Stories On: Pack- Ur- Bags - A Trawellblogger's Guide To Explore Life!!

Rajat Chakraborty
Mansar, Maharashtra, India