iyudhi's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Exploring Vancouver, Canada - A Local Guides Story!

I got a chance to visit Vancouver this past weekend, and it was all thanks to Local Guides* 🙂

Excited for the Local Guides meetup! That's the Olympics torch on the backgroundExcited for the Local Guides meetup! That's the Olympics torch on the background 

@Shirley and I have known each other for about a few months now. We were two of the 75 Local Guides that were selected for the upcoming Local Guides Summit in San Francisco. At first we were just trying to brainstorm ideas on how to get more activities from our Local Guides communities (Vancouver and SF). But then we started to talk on regular basis. She always brag about how awesome Vancouver is, and keep telling me to come and visit. I've never been there before, so it was definitely an enticing idea. Well, one thing leads to another, I got my flight and hotel booked (thank you United mileage points!). It just so happens that another Summit attendee. @Anthony_LG was going to be in town as well before flying to SF. Perfect!

Shirley, me and AnthonyShirley, me and Anthony 

I must say, as an introvert, I was excited and nervous at the same time prior to the trip. I mean, I've never met Shirley and Anthony before. We've just been chatting mostly through Hangouts, mostly about Summit related stuff. But in fact I was worrying over nothing. As soon as we met, it feels like we've known each other for a long time. We started arguing, teasing, like what close friends would do.

Lynn Canyon suspension bridge.. might as well right? :)Lynn Canyon suspension bridge.. might as well right? 🙂

Hiked to the lake, then Shirley and Arthur (her friend) actually swam there. The water was freezing!Hiked to the lake, then Shirley and Arthur (her friend) actually swam there. The water was freezing!

They took me around the city for over two days, and we really had a great time. Shirley has a very extensive knowledge about Vancouver, and I know my experience exploring the city won't be the same without her her. She knows so many good spots for food as well in Vancouver. Let's just say I ate REALLY well this past weekend.

In a few days it will be my turn to host Shirley and Anthony when they're coming for the Summit, and I must say I'm feeling the pressure now!

Fresh sashimi at Raisu. Look at how happy she is! :pFresh sashimi at Raisu. Look at how happy she is! 😛

Google, if you're reading this, please consider her if you decide to do another Local Guides Swap video series 😛

We also had a chance to do a small Local Guides meetup on Sunday. A few Vancouver Local Guides showed up and we had a nice chat over beer and food. Hopefully you guys will continue to meet up in the future!

Meetup with Vancouver Local Guides!Meetup with Vancouver Local Guides!

This is absolutely my favorite part about being a Local Guide. Yes the map editing aspect is important, but what I love the most is the community aspect. It feels like no matter where you go, you'll always someone to rely on. Whether it's actually meeting the Local Guide in person, or in the forms of reviews and photos. 

Two days were not nearly enough. I love the city and definitely will be back. Hopefully for longer next time 🙂

*Not literally of course. I paid for everything myself, in case anyone's confused by my statement.

Vancouver, BC, Canada
12 comments
Level 9

Re: Exploring Vancouver, Canada - A Local Guides Story!

@iyudhi thank you for your summary and your lovely comments! It was my pleasure to take you around and of course, hanging out with you! 

I am sure we all can say we had a wonderful time with you over this past long weekend.  

I know @ArthurInVancouver and I were a bit crazy for swimming in the lake, but hey, maybe we should have dragged you in next time! And I know @Anthony_LG and @EricC had a great time eating too! 

And thank you for joining in on our meet up with some of the other LGs in the city, @WillG and @DanielS.  We'll have to catch up another time!

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
Connect Moderator

Challenge accepted @Shirley 🙂 After seeing you and Arthur jump in that lake, I've been thinking about starting to swim more often. Let's see how that goes haha.

Level 7

Was great to meet you @iyudhi! See you soon in SF 🙂

Level 9

Love it!!!  This is how I could spend some serious vacation time.  Travelling the world and hanging out with fellow #LocalGuides!

?Kimberly on Social ? Google Maps  ? Instagram ? Facebook ? Twitter ?️YouTube ?San Francisco Local Guides

Level 9

Love it!!!  This is how I could spend some serious vacation time.  Travelling the world and hanging out with fellow LocalGuides!

?Kimberly on Social ? Google Maps  ? Instagram ? Facebook ? Twitter ?️YouTube ?San Francisco Local Guides

Connect Moderator

I was in Vancouver 24 years ago. It is a wonderful city. I walked over this hanging brigde too. I can remember that it was a foggy day and I was the only one there.

Thank you for your report and I am very excited to meet you in a few days!

Please mention me with @LudwigGermany on your reply, so I get notified

Connect Moderator   Maps   Instagram   Twitter 

Level 9

@iyudhi looks like you picked all the right spots. Stanley Park is a must, there is also Granville Island, Capilano Bridge, Mount Seymour and if you have time the new Squamish gondola. 

I'm glad you enjoyed your visit. Have fun at the #LGSummit16 

Level 9

@KimberlyAnnG please come any time and @LudwigGermany I think you're due for another trip =P

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
Level 7

Hi can you please tell me how to get that T-Shirt?