DanielTravels1's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 2

Best Things to do in Oregon

Hello! I am going to be in Oregon this summer and am trying to get ideas for places to visit while I am there. I am also planning on going to Washington State, Idaho, and Montana. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

8 comments
Level 9

Re: Best Things to do in Oregon

@DanielTravels1: If you have a chance,definitely drive up the Oregon Coast, along Highway 101. The view is stunning and extremely scenic. I've personally driven along portions of it and it is amazing being along the water. Of course, it'll take much longer than driving through I-5, but well worth it. Cannon Beach is one of the must stop beaches along Highway 101.

Portland is definitely one of the cities to stop at in Oregon. It has a good variety of food and drinks and well known for various donut shops, including VooDoo Donuts and Blue Star (both have multiple locations in the city). Stop by Astoria and you'd see sea lions and maybe seals lying there basking in the sun.

You'll find Multnomah Falls about 45 minutes east of Portland and a great place to see a gorgeous waterfall. If you have the time and interested in hiking, you can actually hike to the top of the waterfall as well.

If you like cherries, in the region, you'll find Rainier cherries, which some people may think are better than the regular cherries!

Oregon is also one of the handful of states that are tax free, if you want to buy anything, Oregon would be a good place to do it!

From Oregon, you can also keep driving north towards Washington State, partly along the coast and then switch over to I-5 to get to places like Seattle. 

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
Level 2

Thank you so much for all of your help! You gave me a lot of great ideas to do on my trip.

Level 9

If you need more ideas, especially for Washington State, let me know. I venture down there every few weeks! 🙂

You can consider coming up to Canada as well from there. Seattle is only a 2.5 hour drive from Vancouver, Canada!

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
Level 2

I would be glad to hear any suggestions for Washington, Canada, or Idaho.

Level 1

i always wanted to travel across America . WV to my dream park crater lake OR. deepest lake we got and the fact it was a volcano is saying behold the power! the top peak is now the island in centerof the water. there and a lake Russia tested. bombs in so much it's it a mirror finish. Chernobyl I want to visit to.

Level 7

The Columbia River Gorge and most of Oregon was hit hard with wild fire last season. Multnomah falls is scorched. You may want to Google ahead to see if parks have reopened. Central Oregon aka The High Desert has it all. Pow wows and festivals on the Warm Springs Reservation. Lake Billy Chinook (The Cove), Smith Rock for some hiking n climbing, Deschutes River, Concerts in the park, hundreds of miles of hiking trail and that is just some of the fun stuff. If you have any questions...

Level 2

Thank you @TracyM you gave me some really great advise.

Level 6

Oregon:  I agree with @Shirley regarding Cannon Beach and Astoria.  If you're in Astoria, don't forget to swing by The Goonies House, if you loved that movie as a kid (or still as an adult).  The Astoria Column has an observation deck that provides some great views of the whole area.  The Tillamook Cheese Factory is a local favorite.

Washington:  On your way up from Oregon, you can swing through Long Beach, which is the world's longest drive-able beach (debatable).  Seattle, obviously.  Go check out Paradise at Mt. Rainier.  Or, go to Crystal Mountain and take the gondola up to the top for an amazing view of Mt. Rainier.  The Hoh Rainforest on the Olympic Peninsula.

Idaho:  Coeur d'Alene and/or Sandpoint

Montana:  Glacier National Park.  Or, if you're still venturing around, there's of course Yellowstone National Park in the NW corner of Wyoming at the Montana/Idaho border.