JeromeFr's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

3 Days in Texas. Suggestions?

Hi Local Guides,

I'll have three days off in Texas next week before a conference. I'll land in San Antonio and the conference is there as well but I'd like to go to Houston to visite the Space Center (I visited the Kennedy Space Center in Florida 2 years ago and I loved it).

Here is what I was thinking to visit :

• San Antonio : Fort Alamo, River Walk, Natural Bridge Caverns. Maybe the Japanse Tea Gardens or a ranch (Dixie Dude? Mayan Dude?).
  • Houston : Space Center, Underground Tunnel Tour, Museum of Natural sciences, The Water Wall.
  • I'd also like to spend some time at Hamilton Pool.

So I've got a few questions for you :

1. Should I also try to squeeze a visit to Austin in these three days or is it too much?
  2. Anything great I miss in that program? Or something not worth it? Any good tip?
  3. Any nice street art in these cities? I like to walk in cities I don't know to find some nice graffitis.
  4. What's the easiest way to travel around? Car rental? If so, do you have any tip for a cheap rental?

And now the most important question : Anyone wants to meet for a drink? 🙂

Thanks in advance for your help!

Cheers,

Jerome (Belgium)

Texas, United States
7 comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 3 Days in Texas. Suggestions?

Trying to squeeze in Austin would probably be too much, unless it's three full days where you could spend one in each city and leave early and get back to your quarters late.

You've got a good itinerary so far, good places to start. I don't know anything about street art, but you'll find plenty more to do if you have spare time.

Best way to get around is a rental car. Public transportation in Texas is virtually non existent and what we do have is nothing like in Europe. I don't know how well Uber would work, never used that service, so I'd definitely say rent car.

I would love to meet for a beer but I'm a good 6 hours away in Dallas Fort Worth area. I almost made it to Belgium last summer but had an extended stay in Brighton and never made it across the channel. Next time I'm making the jump and I love Belgian beer. Big hint there.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

Anonymous
Not applicable

By the way for a rent car I've always used Hertz or Enterprise. Prices are about the same, I always select out of convenience.

Level 6

Thanks for your answer!

Yes I've got three full days and I've just seen that Hamilton Pool is fully booked for the next few weeks. So I might add Austin to the trip. I guess I'll start with one day in San Antonio, then one day in Houston and decide if I want to go back to San Antonio and spend one more day there or if I go to Austin for the last day.

Let me know if you drop by Brussels, I'll show you some nice Belgian beers ;).

Anonymous
Not applicable

You're welcome.

Seaworld in San Antonio is good and can even fill two days easily. If that's not something to interest you, definitely drive up to Austin. There's quite a bit to do there too.

I'll let you know if I ever make it to Brussels, that would be awesome.

Level 5

Hi Jerome,

Welcome! Happy to hear your visiting Texas, there is a lot to see but it sounds like you already have a solid plan laid out. I grew up in Texas, moving between San Antonio, Austin and Houston. I moved to California 4 months ago, so unfortunately wont be able to meet for a drink but I have a few suggestions about traveling my home state: 

San Antonio :

• Fort Alamo - is across from the river walk and gets very busy with tourists. Visit early in the morning when its cool and not crowded. Also since you save time by missing the rush hour be sure to visit Mission San Jose, the largest mission in the city, and its personally a lot nicer than the Alamo - https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60956-d116413-Reviews-Mission_San_Jose-San_Antonio_Te... and check out http://www.texasmonthly.com/travel/trip-guide-san-antonio-missions/
  • River Walk - great restaurants next to the waterway. If you can loop others in it would be best to go in the evening when its cooler and the night life brings everything to life! Be sure to have a margarita 
  • Japanese Tea Gardens - its a quick visit so should but it is a peaceful place and good for some photographs. Again avoid the early go early! 
  • Natural Bridge Caverns - is on the way to Austin so its the perfect stop over attraction while heading to Austin. Since this is underground best to get there for noon so that you can stay cool underground during the after noon. 

Austin

• http://onedayitinerary.com/one-day-in-austin-itinerary/
  • check it out I think you can do the Caverns in the morning and head to Austin for the rest of the day. Recommended!! 

Houston :

Outside the City:
  • Space Center - going to take up half the day and is a hour away from the city, so go early or you will end up spending the whole day with this one attraction. 

In the City:
  • Underground Tunnel Tour - its worth visiting and having a meal downtown, but I am not sure if the underground tunnel tour is really worth your money or time. You can pop in and see the tunnels just food courts and hallways under office buildings. 
  • Museum of Natural Sciences - A great museum. Also takes up a half day. I would highly suggest your drop the museum since your doing the space center and are limited on time. 
  • The Water Wall - Unless you want to visit the Mall (The Galleria) next to if I would skip it. It looks great in pictures but not worth the driving out of the way for just the wall, unless your also shopping!
    Add ins:
  • Buffalo Bayou Park - You don't need to get out and visit the park necessarily but driving up memorial drive towards downtown is a beautiful drive and view. You can pull over your car and get some great shots of the downtown Houston and you enter it with the park in the fore ground. http://buffalobayou.org/visit/destination/buffalo-bayou-park/
  • Visit Midtown - its where all the young professionals hangout if you want a grab a drink its the best spot. 

Hamilton Pool - is outside of Austin so possible consider it the day you do the caverns. You have to really be sure to check if its open, they shut it down quiet often because of bacteria build up. So have a backup plan. 

Answers to your Questions :

1. If you're a high energy person and up for a packed itinerary I think you can do all three cities, one city a day. I highly suggest Austin for the culture, its has a very west coast feel and is totally different from the other cities in Texas. Austin is a city with a great nightlife, it doesn't have major attraction per say but its a great city to eat, listen to live music and drink! I think you'll really enjoy it!

2. Wrote notes about for each of the locations you mentioned. 
  3. Austin has Baylor St. check it out - http://365thingsaustin.com/2012/04/02/92-12-baylor-street-art-wall/. Houston has a lot of walls but not in one concentrated area - https://www.thecitywithnolimits.com/15houstonwallsyougottasee/

4. Texas has a lot of land and everything is spread out, so you need a car! I highly suggest renting a car, its a must in Texas!! Parking is reasonable so you shouldn't have to worry too much parking costs. 

Hope that was helpful,

Happy Traveling!!

Level 6

Wow, thank you so much for this detailed answer @Vasooda!

I hope you enjoy California. I should be around in October so still time for a drink ;).

I'll definitely check Mission San Jose, online reviews all say it's great.

Indeed the Underground Tunnel Tour doesn't look that great after watching a video. I'll replace it by more time at the Museum of Natural Sciences.

Nice graffitis places, that look awesome.

Thanks again for all the details, I'll print it for my trip!

Level 5

No worries! Hope your trip goes well 🙂

Do let me know when you make it to the Bay Area!