JS7's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5
Level 5

Visit Wonderful Old Sacramento Today

I visited Old Town Sacramento a while back and took these photos, I will try and make a description for each as I could not find a way to put the description with the photo itself. The first five are of the trains, old restored working, running trains they have here in Sacramento, CA, USA. What used to be the waterfront on the Sacramento or American River, I can never keep the two straight. When I was growing up it had dilapidated into wineo town where all the lost souls went to drink away there final days. In about the 1960's or so Sacramento decided to tear it all down and make a tourist trap out of it. Those where the days of great blunders on the cities part and great naivety on my part as I went down there and collected broken bottles to study and enjoy looking at. It seems behind all the old buildings back in the 1700 and 1800 they would merely dig a long ditch to bury their trash, and as there was much drinking going on the bottles piled up pretty high. And as no one back them even though of a bottle collector or someone might want these things some day they just tossed them in there whole. Well 200 years later comes along our city planner types and they tell the construction guys just get the big old back how type thing and dig out all that trash and haul it to the dump. I am talking thousands and thousands of precious old bottles some never to be seen again just smash and crushed and made into trash. It was heart wrenching to think of all that was lost because they just never thought of any value to any of it. Sorry for the story I sometimes do get carried away. Back to the trains different shots of one or two, don't remember. That was the first 5 photos, then a shop that sold what I don't even remember but had this cool display of old sewing machines, which I related to as I have as many in my shop. Two photos of those. The next two photos are of a statue in one of the side streets about the pony express I believe. The next on I can't remember it's significance but something to do with one of the former owners of one of the buildings right in that area. Next group of photos are of the Delta King, a original paddle wheeler from way back in the day of Mark Twain and the like. It is now a Hotel restaurant. To pricey for me but many many tourist enjoy it every day. As far as I know she does no longer get underway. Hopefully this link will get you to the photos. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B_ZZEE-WPHnhOVZFRGR1emwyLXM?usp=sharing

Old Town Trainstop, Front Street, Sacramento, CA, USA
1 comment
Level 10

Re: Visit Wonderful Old Sacramento Today

@JS7 Thanks for sharing. You can just add a photo to the post by clicking "Photos" icon on top of the text area. It is always better to add few photos to your post, then it will be more attractive. If you want to add a description to photos, please use Google Photos. There you can add photos, organised them into albums.