KentJohnson's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Unphotographed - The Korean War Memorial in Sydney Australia.

Today while looking at maps I realised that the war memorial for the Korean War (in Sydney) was shown on maps as some grass growing, nothing else. It's not so far from where I live so I decided to go there and try to take some shots that do justice to the memorial and the lives it represents. Maybe not whats required, though I think more appropriate than the grass! I love the sculptors choice of 'tall poppies' to represent the fallen combatants from this conflict, and I hope I have brought this idea to the fore. There's lots to map and photograph in Sydney!  
1600-AdjCE_3337.jpg1600-AdjSEv2_3340.jpg1600-AdjCE_3343.jpg

Kent Johnson
Sydney NSW, Australia
3 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Unphotographed - The Korean War Memorial in Sydney Australia.

This is an awesome contribution @KentJohnson!

As far as I know the memorial is a tribute to 17 000 Australian troops who served in the United Nations contingent during the Korean War. That number shocks me. What else is it famous for?

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 7

@IrrPavlova wrote:

This is an awesome contribution @KentJohnson!

As far as I know the memorial is a tribute to 17 000 Australian troops who served in the United Nations contingent during the Korean War. That number shocks me. What else is it famous for?

No so much famous, simply not very well know and in Australia, unless you were a Korean War Veteran. I suspect this conflict is not even known about by the younger generation. So I think, it's nice to get some shots of this well designed monument, create some additional awareness. One of the great things about posting photos to Maps!

Kent Johnson
Former Google Contributor

Exactly my point. This is what I love most about Maps as well. People should know the stories behind the places they pass by.

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!