Tosan's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Trip to Freetown, Sierra Leone

Ok, I did some background check, like I would normally do when visiting somewhere for the first time, but i wasn't prepared for what I experienced. From the almost 1hr boat ride to the mainland from the Lungi International Airport, to the traffic in Freetown. I was fortunate to visit the eve of the inauguration of President Maada so I had extra traffic as part of the welcoming for me. It took the driver 3 hrs for what would have been a 40 mins drive.

As it was weekend the next day, I started exploring and i got my first encounter with the Krio language, a form of broken English. As I told my friends "Warri go learn for here". Lumley Beach was almost empty and they say its because of the inauguration, everyone went to see the new president. I heard in the news the 21,000 capacity stadium was full to the brim. I went to Lakkaka Beach the next day, I still have a few more days here, lets see what I will discover.   

This dude welcomed meThis dude welcomed meLungi International AirportLungi International AirportIMG_20180511_181230.jpgMahera Beach JettyMahera Beach JettyMy First view of FreetownMy First view of FreetownSovereign FerriesSovereign FerriesLumley BeachLumley BeachPapaya Bar @ Family Kingdom ResortPapaya Bar @ Family Kingdom ResortHouses on Hilltops, I'm sure the view would be amazing up thereHouses on Hilltops, I'm sure the view would be amazing up thereFish and Chips, my regularFish and Chips, my regularIMG_20180513_111329.jpgLakkaka BeachLakkaka BeachLakkaka BeachLakkaka BeachIMG_20180513_142136.jpgthis is a FIrst, Mangoes served with seasoning, crayfish and chillithis is a FIrst, Mangoes served with seasoning, crayfish and chilliThere was even a wedding reception, was fun to watchThere was even a wedding reception, was fun to watchWas sad to leaveWas sad to leave

Tosan Clarke
Freetown, Sierra Leone
25 comments
Level 7

Re: Trip to Freetown, Sierra Leone

Congratulations to Sierra Leone! looks like you had fun inspire of the traffic.. waiting on your follow up post as you explore. Cheers!

James Edeani - Lagos Local Guide
Level 5

Obviously you had fun! Nice one... more pictures hopefully???

Level 10

This is interesting @Tosan. Thanks for sharing your Amazing experience with us as regards your visit to Freetown. Interesting stuff. Am amazed how the Krio language will definitely sound comparing to the Warri pidgin. Definitely you will be able to differentiate Krio language and Warri pidgin 😄

P.S

Do you know there is a Local Guide from Sierra Leone you could connect with and if possible you can have a meet-up together as well with the Sierra Leone community. Let me tag him on this post so he gets the notification. His name is @braveheartajek. Am sure he will be happy to meet you.

Regards.

Level 8

Great read @Tosan Thanks for sharing 

Level 10

I'll say you had massive fun @Tosan@exploring the towns and cities in Freetown, Sierra Leone. Well done taking the guide to another level and doing justice to the maps

Always happy improving the maps and connect here!
Level 9

Wow. Lovely photos. 

I particularly love the pics of the beach.  

Have even more fun!

Level 7

Oh lovely... Great to see a beach from Sierra Leone. 

Level 8

Hello @Tosan,

Glad to hear you had a great time in Sierra Leone. Sorry about the traffic 🙂 I take it that you have returned already. Too bad I have only just read your post. I am a local guide from Sierra Leone. I would have loved to connect with you during your stay. Let me know if you are still here and how I can reach you.

@HelloSamsonR, thanks for the mention.

Alexander
Level 9

@Tosan

Amazing clicks 🙂