Malar's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Temples of India, Maruthamalai, Pambatti Sittar

krishna jayanthi 2015 007.JPGkrishna jayanthi 2015 009.JPGkrishna jayanthi 2015 016.JPG

Arulmigu Subramanya Swami Temple, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India
8 comments
Level 7

Re: Temples of India, Maruthamalai, Pambatti Sittar

one of the famous temple in coimbatore

dilip km
Level 8

Yes it is 

Level 8

Thanks @Malar

Great place. Cheers

Former Google Contributor

Hey @Malar,

That's a peculiar temple. I haven't seen such before. Thanks for sharing!

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 8

Courtesy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siddhar

I have taken this context from the wikipedia, above link.

It is said that there were siddhars who lived long ago, the place mentioned in my share is Maruthamali, where Pambatti sittar had meditated. i visit this temple without fail during my vacation. It is located in my home town, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu. I have also planned to visit the other Siddhar samadhi during my vacation this time. Feeling blessed to be born in a valued land of heritage and culture. 

A copy paste from the wikipedia for a quick reference:

Typically Siddhars were saints, doctors, alchemists and mystics all in one. They wrote their findings in the form of poems in the Tamil language, on palm leaves which are collected and stored in what are known as the "Palm leaf manuscripts". These are still owned by some families in Tamil Nadu and handed down through the generations, as well as being kept in public institutions such as universities in India, Germany, Great Britain and the United States.[5]

In this way Siddhars developed, among other branches of a vast knowledge-system, what is now known as Siddha medicine, practised mainly in Tamil Nadu as a type of traditional native medicine. A rustic form of healing that is similar to Siddha medicine has since been practised by experienced elders in the villages of Tamil Nadu. (This has sometimes been confused with Paatti Vaitthiyam" and "Naattu marunthu (forms of traditional Tamil medicine) and Mooligai marutthuvam (Ayurvedic medicine)).

Siddhars are also believed to be the founders of Varmam - a martial art for self-defence and medical treatment at the same time. Varmam are specific points located in the human body which when pressed in different ways can give various results, such as disabling an attacker in self-defence, or balancing a physical condition as an easy first-aid medical treatment.

Tamil Siddhars were the first to develop pulse-reading ("naadi paarththal" in Tamil) to identify the origin of diseases. This method was later copied and used in Ayurveda.[6]

Siddhars have also written many religious poems. It is believed that most of them have lived for ages, in a mystic mountain called Sathuragiri, near Thanipparai village in Tamil Nadu.

The 18 Siddhars

There are 18 siddhars in the Tamil Siddha tradition. They are[7][8]

1. Nandeeswarar (Nandidevar or Nandi (bull))
  2. Tirumular
  3. Agathiyar
  4. Kalangi Nathar
  5. Pathanjali
  6. Korakkar
  7. Pulipaani
  8. Konganar
  9. Sattamuni
  10. Theraiyar
  11. Ramadevar
  12. Siva vaakiyar
  13. Edaikkadar
  14. Machamuni
  15. KaruvoorarThevar
  16. Bogar
  17. Pambatti (Pambatti Siddhar)
  18. Kuthambai
Level 7

My Favorite temple in coimbatore

dilip km
Level 8

Nice pic @Malar! Been to Coimbatore once on route to Kodaikanal, maybe next time will visit!:)

Adding to your list, I am sharing some more below:Meenashki temple, Madurai, Tamil Nadu.Meenashki temple, Madurai, Tamil Nadu.

Somnath Temple, Somnath, Gujarat.Somnath Temple, Somnath, Gujarat.

Thai Temple, built by the Kingdom of Thailand in Kushinagar, Uttar Pradesh.Thai Temple, built by the Kingdom of Thailand in Kushinagar, Uttar Pradesh.

Dakshineshwar Temple, Kolkata, West Bengal.Dakshineshwar Temple, Kolkata, West Bengal.

Level 8

@Prodeep wrote:

Nice pic @Malar! Been to Coimbatore once on route to Kodaikanal, maybe next time will visit!:)

Adding to your list, I am sharing some more below:Meenashki temple, Madurai, Tamil Nadu.Meenashki temple, Madurai, Tamil Nadu.

Somnath Temple, Somnath, Gujarat.Somnath Temple, Somnath, Gujarat.

Thai Temple, built by the Kingdom of Thailand in Kushinagar, Uttar Pradesh.Thai Temple, built by the Kingdom of Thailand in Kushinagar, Uttar Pradesh.

Dakshineshwar Temple, Kolkata, West Bengal.Dakshineshwar Temple, Kolkata, West Bengal.

Wow! Very nice. Thank you for sharing.

Cheers