inboxd's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Sharing an offbeat place I visited, Episode 1 - Abhaneri stepwell

(Second part is live, link at the bottom of this post)

Looking back to my life, I realized that I have been to so many off-beat places (like I always wanted to), and I didn't even have a feeling that I have seen all these places. Looking at few old pictures, I came across this gem and decided that everyone should also get a glimpse of places I have been to. I hope many people also get inspired and share some amazing places they have come across, which can inspire travel goals of people around the world.

So, here comes first episode,

Chand Baori Step Well, Abhaneri, Alwar, Rajasthan, IN

I guess everyone has seen The Dark Knight rises and this scene - 

So, Bruce Wayne finds his soul at the bottom of this pit. This scene was so intense when I saw it the first time. But, as soon as he comes out of the pit. I was surprised to see something familiar. It was a palace fort of architecture similar to one found around my birthplace. After some googling I figured out it was indeed Mehrangarh Fort, Jodhpur, Rajasthan, IN

That fort, though being close to my place, I never got the chance to visit it. Though I have visited forts similar to this one like Amber fort, Jaipur, Rajasthan, IN (in picture 1), and adjacent fort Jaigarh Fort, Jaipur, Rajasthan, IN (in picture 2)Amber fortAmber fort

IMG_3494_edited-1

So there is a scene where everyone is cheering a enterprising Bruce wayne who is trying to escape the pit and a stepwell comes in scene. That stepwell is somewhere in rural Rajasthan, India which is almost 70 kms away from Jaipur, India. 

On my visit to Jaipur, I decided to cover both this stepwell (Chand Baori) (location)  and the famous haunted Bhangarh Fort, Alwar, Rajasthan, IN (I will cover this in a new post in episode 2). 

I started the day with Bhangarh fort as I expected it to take good amount of time as I love to visit historical places, and this one was no ordinary historical place, it was haunted (allegedly) too 😄

Later in the day I visited this stepwell. It was beautiful. I have seen stepwells in past but this one was HUGE. After some reading I got to know that it has close to 3500 narrow steps and it is 100 feet deep which is quite deep for the a stepwell. These stepwells were a very useful way of preserving in arid Rajasthani villages. Stepwells are designed in a way that at the bottom they are 5-6 degrees cooler than the top. It receives water from rains and keeps it preserved for summer seasons when whole geography gets dry.

Also, it only does not server as a water conservation unit, but it has ornated seating arrangement all around it where locals used to gather and various rituals and functions used to be held here as well.

Though nowadays it is not being used at all as a water source, but it surely stands as an unmatched monument of Indian rural architecture. Here are few pictures - 

IMG_4567.JPGIMG_4571.JPGIMG_4537.JPGIMG_4538.JPGIMG_4540.JPGIMG_4544.JPGIMG_4553.JPG

Visit if you ever come to Jaipur, India and have time in your hand. Here is my review of Chand Baori in case you need some idea.

Feel free to ask anything about it. See you in next episode with Haunted ruins of Bhangarh Fort.

D

PS - Haunted ruins of Bhangarh fort - 2nd part of this series is now up 🙂

Chand Bawri, Step Well, Abhaneri, Rajasthan, India
15 comments
Level 9

Re: Sharing an offbeat place I visited, Episode 1 - Abhaneri stepwell

Hi @inboxd!

I must tell you that your pics are simply unparallelled . 

Well meditated and thoughtful .

Your "third eye " is really appreciable. Hope you would post many of such spectacular shots . So please keep me tagged so that I have a chance to enjoy your photography.

Mondrito

Level 8

@MONDRITO @@@@ I am glad you liked my Post. It is Sunday so I will get time to put another one, will tag you for sure.

PS - avoid those @@@@ at the start of this message. This site is hard to work with on mobile web 😥

Level 9

Hi inboxd !

Glad to receive your quick reply .

Hope we would share our common place of interest, photography.

Mondrito

Level 6

Hi @inboxd 🙂

That was a nice write up with cool pictures to go with it, thanks for sharing your experience.

Are a fan of stepwells then? Me too, although strangely enough, I haven't seen the one at Abhaneri, despite having been to Rajasthan nine times already... I've just never done the Golden Triangle route - actually, I did on my second visit, but my tour operator forgot to include it (and Fatehpur Sikri) in my itinerary. Hopefully though, I will get to visit next time I am in India - currently planning my five week trip, some of which with be a road trip dedicated to filming and photographing stepwells. But ideally, I would love to see Chand Baori at a specific time - during the Abhaneri Festival, which happens once every year, around 30 days before Diwali. During the festival, people are allowed to go all the way down to the water and bathe.

One of my favourite stepwells is the main one in Jodhpur Toor Ji Ka Jhalra, (I was going to link a photo from my Flickr account, but I'm not sure It's allowed?) I actually have a few photos a guys diving from the top (crazy), During the Marwar festival last year, the well was all lit up and there was a band nearby playing music, very cool.

All the best

James8Arthur

Level 8

Wow, another stepwell fan 🙂

Seems like you have seen more of Rajasathan than me (despite I being a Rajasthan native). Try if you can go to Abhaneri next time. Also, please share flicker photo of Toor ji ka Jhalra, I assume we can post flicker photos (there is an option to upload photo via link).

Also, since you shared this gem with me, I am going to share two gems - One is Rani ki vav, Patan, Gujrat and another one is in Delhi, Ugrasen ke baoli. To be honest, more than me, my brother-in-law is a level 100 stepwell fan, being an architect. He can enlighten you extensively on stepwells ( go to this link, scroll down few posts and you will find some amazing pictures of lesser known stepwells).

Let me know if I could be of any help while you seek any information regarding your next trip, would be glad to help.

Thanks,

Darpan

Level 6

@inboxd

Hi Darpan. Okay, here's a link to my 'Jodhpur album' link1 stroll down a little for the diver at Toor ji ka Jhalra. Also to my 'Stepwell1 album' link2 (Mostly Delhi & Jaipur stepwells at the moment). Trying to finish off a new Varanasi album at the moment, most of which will also be posted to Google Maps. I'm not going to update the Stepwell album until after next years India visit, last year I was mostly filming them (still not got around to sorting out my You Tube channel yet or editing all my footage...it's going to take ages 😞

I would love to visit Gujrat and promise to do so one day - Rani ki vav I definitely want to see - and also the Queens stepwell ''Adalaj Vav" which comes with it's own tragic story.

You brother in laws designs are really nice (I know nothing about architecture unfortunately) The lovely Chimera broaches clearly looking like something familiar 🙂

So you are a native of Jodhpur? Love the place, will be going back again next year (3rd visit to the city). Most tourists only give it an overnight stay which is such a waste of time. On my visit, I'll be looking out for more stepwells - in particularly one called kharbhuja bawri. apparently located near ram Dara Sursagar (so somewhere in Soorsagar) so far though, no luck finding it...

Anyway all for now

James

Level 8

Wow, you have been to so many of them so far. (including the Delhi one, if I recognized it right)

I also noticed you (probably it was you) in one of the pic, and cow-**####** cakes too 😄

Last thing - I know it is very had and tough job bringing up the youtube channel. But try small steps, many will thank you, including me 🙂

Level 10

@inboxd

So impressive and such an unusual architecture! I have never seen such a building before. 

It thinks this is so special you should send the pictures to some Hollywood location guide ( right, location  NOT local guide!)

That could be an awesome setting for a James Bond or Chackie Chan movie jumping and running all those steps up and down.

(I hope that won't be inappropriate for this place)

Such a cool location that you found there!

Level 8

Thanks @SuzanneBozz for acknowledging the post, it took some serious will-power to write this one, haha. I liked your idea of sending it to some Hollywood location scout. Will try.

On other note, I wrote second part of this series as well. (Though it got flagged as spam by Bot moderator :/, so working to bring it back to life)

I liked your frankfurt stock exchange's shots, do you work there?