JenneferB's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

#LetsGuide dog owners in Vancouver!

With the launch of #LetsGuide recently, I thought about what my passions are and how I could share it with my community. I have a lot of passions, but as a new(ish) dog owner I thought why not explore one of my newest ones.

Tako is my adorable, albeit stubborn, Shiba Inu. He is 6 months old and needs constant attention and supervision. This makes it difficult to go out- as you can imagine!

So cute.... but so much trouble.So cute.... but so much trouble.

What a lot of people don’t know is that you cannot leave your dog tied up outside to a bike rack or tree, no matter how well behaved they are, while you go into a restaurant for lunch. To the City Of Vancouver, this is considered “off-leash” and can get you a hefty fine of $250! You can see how this might make it challenging to go out with a puppy.

I work in a dog-friendly office which makes dog ownership manageable in Vancouver, but it doesn’t solve the problem of what to do when I want to go out and socialize.

I’ve discovered a few places that allow me to bring him inside. My favorite dog-friendly place is Luppolo Brewery in the Strathcona area. They won’t allow your dog to sit with you while you have your beer and snacks, but there is an area in the front of the shop with a cozy dog bed and water dish for them. They’ll also get lots of love and attention from anyone that comes in 🙂

Another place that has been very kind to Tako and me is Cartems Donuts on Main Street. Tako gets lots of tummy touches and I get to have my donut and coffee in their friendly shop!

Tako at CartemsTako at CartemsWaiting for people to give him some attention at CartemsWaiting for people to give him some attention at Cartems

Obviously dog parks are the most dog-friendly places! There are so many dog parks in Vancouver and many of them are fenced up in case you have a pooch that’s prone to taking off. Not only is it a great place for your dog to play and socialize, it’s a great place for the humans to socialize too!

Tako with his new friend Yoshi / Photo by yoshi_the_shiba_inuTako with his new friend Yoshi / Photo by yoshi_the_shiba_inu 

What I did was join a Facebook group for Shiba Inu owners in Vancouver. Much like Local Guides Connect, we share things with each other. In this case, it's Shiba related. On the first Sunday of every month, there is a big Shiba Meet at David Gray Dog Park in Burnaby. Up to 20 Shiba Inu’s get together and play. Sometimes it gets a little wild and there’s some growling, but it’s generally a great time and it’s also a chance for the humans to socialize with each other.

March 4th Meet-up/ Photo by @mrkobetheshibaMarch 4th Meet-up/ Photo by @mrkobetheshiba

There are tons of dog specific meet-ups in Vancouver that you can find by searching for groups on Facebook, but there are also just general dog meet-ups too. There is actually one coming up in the next few weeks at Trout Lake Off-leash Park if anyone wanted to check it out! I’m not the one hosting it, so all the info you need is at the link here - https://www.facebook.com/events/792714794243167/

Hope Tako and I will see you there! I’d also love to hear about where you go with your dog and what type of meet-ups you attend with them 🙂

Vancouver, BC, Canada
14 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: #LetsGuide dog owners in Vancouver!

Hey @JenneferB,

Tako is adorable! Thanks for sharing this with us! I am sure your article will be very useful for dog owners in Vancouver!

@KlaudiyaG just take a look at this!

See you around!

- Nadya

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Former Google Contributor

You know me all to well @NadyaPN! :)Thank you so much for tagging me.

@JenneferB, your post is grand! Very well explained, with a lot of useful details. Without a doubt, this post will be extremely helpful to dog owners in Vancouver. I personally am the proud owner of two dogs and I know how hard it can be to bring your furry friend(s) on vacations or even to the coffee shop.

P.S.: You have probably heard this a million times, but Tako is gorgeous! 🙂

See you soon,

Klaudiya

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Connect Moderator

Hi @JenneferB, this is a very great post. Even I don't have a dog as a pet, but I like how you play with Tako. Thanks for sharing 🙂

Indonesia Local Guides
Level 8

@NadyaPN @KlaudiyaG

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!Yes, I'm finding it a little bit challenging to take my pup with me everywhere but I adapt where ever I can! For a city like Vancouver that has so many dog owners, I'm surprised with how unaccommodating it is... Oh well- I'll keep searching for places to go 🙂

Level 8

@NunungAfuah Thanks for reading! 🙂 

Level 10

Hi @JenneferB Thanks for sharing this educative article about #Letsguide dogs to Friendly places. As a proud Havanese Owner,  I can tell you it has not been easy taking my dog to restaurants, offices and other fun place that I would love to go with her(Kira). Sadly In the country where I Iive in, there are no pet friendly places and most times you can't take your dog's to cafes and restaurants etc because you won't be allowed, not even in their premises. Thanks for sharing such a great post as this.

Here is a photo of KiraKiraKira

Level 6

Hello! 

I wish that more places let dogs in! As someone who originally hails from the UK, we are very used to taking our dogs to pubs to enjoy an afternoon. I am also new to the #letsguide community and eager to connect with other local Vancouver Guides! 

Lucy 

Level 9

@FennWave

Both @JenneferB and I are based in Vancouver and you can check out the G+ community as well. There are a handful of us there and @Danton is trying to organize an event very soon in a few weeks! So keep your eyes out for that!

Thanks for sharing info about what you find in Vancouver as well Jennefer! 🙂

Maybe time to create a list of places you've been to that is dog/pup friendly? 

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
Level 6

I am so happy about your post and your pup is adorable.

Perhaps we could make a list of places that welcome dogs? My favorite park for pups is Fraser River Park!