Shutterbug's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

I found a wish tree!

On a walk a while ago, in the very peaceful and picturesque location of Padley Gorge, in Yorkshire, England - I stumbled upon a very strange looking tree. I took a closer look, and realised it had hundreds upon hundreds of coins embedded into its bark!

Here's a picture I took:Wishing tree, Padley GorgeWishing tree, Padley Gorge

I was confused and curious in equal measure, and as soon as I got home I did a spot of research and found out it was a wishing tree, or wish tree - an old custom which you don't hear of all that often - here's a link to an article all about them!

http://all-that-is-interesting.com/great-britain-wishing-trees

If you are in or around the area, I suggest wandering around until you stumble f it, it's fascinating to look at and only one of a small amount nationwide from what I can gather! 

8 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: I found a wish tree!

Wow @Shutterbug that is very interesting, thanks for sharing! 🙂

Level 9

@Shutterbug

Nice pic and good cultural information 🙂

Why some coins are crushed and other no ?

My MapsIWe're the World, We're the Local Guides!
Level 8

They are hit with a hammer (or rock maybe) into the bark, and each one is from a different person with a different hammer - so some might bend, and some might not!

Level 9

Ok

thank you for explanation 🙂

My MapsIWe're the World, We're the Local Guides!
Level 10

Its really strange and interesting tree and information @Shutterbug .

Thanks for share with us.

Just wanted to ask that coins can identify? I mean its from which era or new coins?

Level 8

It's new coins - whichever ones people may just have with them at the time - you make a wish as you put the coin into the tree, much like throwing one into a wishing well.

There is a bridge not too far from me which is covered in padlocks, which is a similar thing but more about a display of love - couples will put a lock on the bridge, close it and throw the key into the stream below to symbolise their bond. I'll try and get a shot of it next time I'm out there 

Level 10

Thanks for the details @Shutterbug.

We will waiting for your new amazing post here.

Thanks 

Level 6

This is very interesting post, @Shutterbug