ThamaraKandabada's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Flavors of Saigon

Last December, I visited Vietnam with my family. It was a rushed trip, so we had only 4 days to spend there, but during that time, we saw as much of Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) as we could. After the trip, I realised that I had quite a few decent pictures of the places we visited, so I'm going to share them here now. 

If you haven't been to Vietnam, may I recommend it as a good place to take your next vacation at? It's a beautiful country with nice, friendly people. Tourism is big there, so you will find a lot of foreigners around the year, but if you look hard enough you can also find nice, peaceful spots to spend time in.

I hope these photos will inspire you to visit 🙂

First glimpse of Saigon from the air. The crawling waterway is a branch of the famous Mekong River.First glimpse of Saigon from the air. The crawling waterway is a branch of the famous Mekong River.Immigration. I didn't know it was forbidden to take photos here. Soon after I took this pic, I was confronted by an immigration officer who almost took away my phone. Fortunately, I was able to apologize and get away with it.Immigration. I didn't know it was forbidden to take photos here. Soon after I took this pic, I was confronted by an immigration officer who almost took away my phone. Fortunately, I was able to apologize and get away with it.

Remnants of the Vietnam War. This is a US fighter plane on display at the War Remnants Museum in the city.Remnants of the Vietnam War. This is a US fighter plane on display at the War Remnants Museum in the city.More planes.More planes.When I posted this photo on Instagram, my caption for it was "Death from above."When I posted this photo on Instagram, my caption for it was "Death from above."The city is crawling with bikes.The city is crawling with bikes.At the Ben Thanh night market, one of the places you must definitely visit. Raws and raws of sprawling shops selling everything from dried fruit to shoes.At the Ben Thanh night market, one of the places you must definitely visit. Raws and raws of sprawling shops selling everything from dried fruit to shoes.Takashimaya shopping mall. One of the chic places in the city.Takashimaya shopping mall. One of the chic places in the city.In front of the Takashimaya mall. We were there on Christmas Eve.In front of the Takashimaya mall. We were there on Christmas Eve.Traditional Vietnamese dress: Áo dàiTraditional Vietnamese dress: Áo dàiVietbucks.Vietbucks.Our tour guide on the Mekong Delta cruise. This full day trip, with lunch, costs only $12 per person. It can be booked through any local hotel.Our tour guide on the Mekong Delta cruise. This full day trip, with lunch, costs only $12 per person. It can be booked through any local hotel.On the Mekong River.On the Mekong River.Beekeeping, and the production of honey is big on the Mekong Delta.Beekeeping, and the production of honey is big on the Mekong Delta.That's my brother wrapped in s snake.That's my brother wrapped in s snake.More snake charming.More snake charming.During the Mekong Delta trip, you get to cruise through a narrow canal in these boats. The rowing is done predominantly by local ladies.During the Mekong Delta trip, you get to cruise through a narrow canal in these boats. The rowing is done predominantly by local ladies.The 'leading lady' on our boat.The 'leading lady' on our boat.More boats.More boats.On one of the islands in the Mekong Delta there is a small crocodile farm. I think this guy is not too happy to be in a cage.On one of the islands in the Mekong Delta there is a small crocodile farm. I think this guy is not too happy to be in a cage.Chilling.Chilling.Another shot from the Mekong Delta trip.Another shot from the Mekong Delta trip.Statue of Budai at Vinh Trang TempleStatue of Budai at Vinh Trang TempleVinh Trang temple. It was empty and peaceful when we visited.Vinh Trang temple. It was empty and peaceful when we visited.Another statue of Buddha at the Vinh Trang Temple.Another statue of Buddha at the Vinh Trang Temple.A demonstration of how the Viet Cong guerrillas made improvised footwear from leftover rubber tubes from destroyed US vehicles.A demonstration of how the Viet Cong guerrillas made improvised footwear from leftover rubber tubes from destroyed US vehicles.The Saigon Central Post Office. An iconic building in the city.The Saigon Central Post Office. An iconic building in the city.The post office is operational even at 7 pm.The post office is operational even at 7 pm.The gift shop at the Post Office.The gift shop at the Post Office.A statue of the Jade Emperor, a powerful deity in Chinese tradition.A statue of the Jade Emperor, a powerful deity in Chinese tradition.The bikers of Saigon. They are everywhere.The bikers of Saigon. They are everywhere.The city has a number of museums. On many of them you can find exhibits related to the liberation movement in the 60s and 70s.The city has a number of museums. On many of them you can find exhibits related to the liberation movement in the 60s and 70s.Ho Chi Minh City museumHo Chi Minh City museumThe best way to travel around the city is by bus. Most of the conductors don't speak English, but we were saved by Google Maps! Whenever we got on a bus, I'd just show them our destination on Google Maps, and they'd give us the correct ticket.The best way to travel around the city is by bus. Most of the conductors don't speak English, but we were saved by Google Maps! Whenever we got on a bus, I'd just show them our destination on Google Maps, and they'd give us the correct ticket.A Buddha statue at the Vietnam History Museum.A Buddha statue at the Vietnam History Museum.Another Buddha statue at the Vietnam History Museum.Another Buddha statue at the Vietnam History Museum.Wooden sculpture.Wooden sculpture.A solemn guard at the Vietnam History Museum.A solemn guard at the Vietnam History Museum.a beautifully crafted marble statue.a beautifully crafted marble statue.This dragon's head can be seen just outside the Vietnam History Museum.This dragon's head can be seen just outside the Vietnam History Museum.At the Saigon Zoo & Botanical Gardens. These flowers, however, are not real. Cue Radiohead! (get it?)At the Saigon Zoo & Botanical Gardens. These flowers, however, are not real. Cue Radiohead! (get it?)Vinh Nghiem Pagoda. Another famous Buddhist temple in the city.Vinh Nghiem Pagoda. Another famous Buddhist temple in the city.Vinh Nghiem Pagoda.Vinh Nghiem Pagoda.Incense is a major part of Buddhist ritualistic culture. This is another shot from the Vinh Nghiem Pagoda.Incense is a major part of Buddhist ritualistic culture. This is another shot from the Vinh Nghiem Pagoda.

On our first night in the city, there was a local fair at the Saigon Central Market.On our first night in the city, there was a local fair at the Saigon Central Market.A wooden sculpture at the Ho Chi Minch City Museum.A wooden sculpture at the Ho Chi Minch City Museum.Vinh Nghiem PagodaVinh Nghiem PagodaA lady in prayer at the Vinh Nghiem PagodaA lady in prayer at the Vinh Nghiem PagodaTile patters on the floor at Vietnam History MuseumTile patters on the floor at Vietnam History MuseumMuseums are best to visit when they are deserted :DMuseums are best to visit when they are deserted 😄Keeping the green wall alive at the underground Sense Market in the city.Keeping the green wall alive at the underground Sense Market in the city.

Do you have any favorite photos from Vietnam? I'd love for you to share 🙂

Happy trails!

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
4 comments
Level 8

Re: Flavors of Saigon

@ThamaraKandabada wrote:

Last December, I visited Vietnam with my family. It was a rushed trip, so we had only 4 days to spend there, but during that time, we saw as much of Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) as we could. After the trip, I realised that I had quite a few decent pictures of the places we visited, so I'm going to share them here now. 

If you haven't been to Vietnam, may I recommend it as a good place to take your next vacation at? It's a beautiful country with nice, friendly people. Tourism is big there, so you will find a lot of foreigners around the year, but if you look hard enough you can also find nice, peaceful spots to spend time in.

I hope these photos will inspire you to visit 🙂

First glimpse of Saigon from the air. The crawling waterway is a branch of the famous Mekong River.First glimpse of Saigon from the air. The crawling waterway is a branch of the famous Mekong River.Immigration. I didn't know it was forbidden to take photos here. Soon after I took this pic, I was confronted by an immigration officer who almost took away my phone. Fortunately, I was able to apologize and get away with it.Immigration. I didn't know it was forbidden to take photos here. Soon after I took this pic, I was confronted by an immigration officer who almost took away my phone. Fortunately, I was able to apologize and get away with it.

Remnants of the Vietnam War. This is a US fighter plane on display at the War Remnants Museum in the city.Remnants of the Vietnam War. This is a US fighter plane on display at the War Remnants Museum in the city.More planes.More planes.When I posted this photo on Instagram, my caption for it was "Death from above."When I posted this photo on Instagram, my caption for it was "Death from above."The city is crawling with bikes.The city is crawling with bikes.At the Ben Thanh night market, one of the places you must definitely visit. Raws and raws of sprawling shops selling everything from dried fruit to shoes.At the Ben Thanh night market, one of the places you must definitely visit. Raws and raws of sprawling shops selling everything from dried fruit to shoes.Takashimaya shopping mall. One of the chic places in the city.Takashimaya shopping mall. One of the chic places in the city.In front of the Takashimaya mall. We were there on Christmas Eve.In front of the Takashimaya mall. We were there on Christmas Eve.Traditional Vietnamese dress: Áo dàiTraditional Vietnamese dress: Áo dàiVietbucks.Vietbucks.Our tour guide on the Mekong Delta cruise. This full day trip, with lunch, costs only $12 per person. It can be booked through any local hotel.Our tour guide on the Mekong Delta cruise. This full day trip, with lunch, costs only $12 per person. It can be booked through any local hotel.On the Mekong River.On the Mekong River.Beekeeping, and the production of honey is big on the Mekong Delta.Beekeeping, and the production of honey is big on the Mekong Delta.That's my brother wrapped in s snake.That's my brother wrapped in s snake.More snake charming.More snake charming.During the Mekong Delta trip, you get to cruise through a narrow canal in these boats. The rowing is done predominantly by local ladies.During the Mekong Delta trip, you get to cruise through a narrow canal in these boats. The rowing is done predominantly by local ladies.The 'leading lady' on our boat.The 'leading lady' on our boat.More boats.More boats.On one of the islands in the Mekong Delta there is a small crocodile farm. I think this guy is not too happy to be in a cage.On one of the islands in the Mekong Delta there is a small crocodile farm. I think this guy is not too happy to be in a cage.Chilling.Chilling.Another shot from the Mekong Delta trip.Another shot from the Mekong Delta trip.Statue of Budai at Vinh Trang TempleStatue of Budai at Vinh Trang TempleVinh Trang temple. It was empty and peaceful when we visited.Vinh Trang temple. It was empty and peaceful when we visited.Another statue of Buddha at the Vinh Trang Temple.Another statue of Buddha at the Vinh Trang Temple.A demonstration of how the Viet Cong guerrillas made improvised footwear from leftover rubber tubes from destroyed US vehicles.A demonstration of how the Viet Cong guerrillas made improvised footwear from leftover rubber tubes from destroyed US vehicles.The Saigon Central Post Office. An iconic building in the city.The Saigon Central Post Office. An iconic building in the city.The post office is operational even at 7 pm.The post office is operational even at 7 pm.The gift shop at the Post Office.The gift shop at the Post Office.A statue of the Jade Emperor, a powerful deity in Chinese tradition.A statue of the Jade Emperor, a powerful deity in Chinese tradition.The bikers of Saigon. They are everywhere.The bikers of Saigon. They are everywhere.The city has a number of museums. On many of them you can find exhibits related to the liberation movement in the 60s and 70s.The city has a number of museums. On many of them you can find exhibits related to the liberation movement in the 60s and 70s.Ho Chi Minh City museumHo Chi Minh City museumThe best way to travel around the city is by bus. Most of the conductors don't speak English, but we were saved by Google Maps! Whenever we got on a bus, I'd just show them our destination on Google Maps, and they'd give us the correct ticket.The best way to travel around the city is by bus. Most of the conductors don't speak English, but we were saved by Google Maps! Whenever we got on a bus, I'd just show them our destination on Google Maps, and they'd give us the correct ticket.A Buddha statue at the Vietnam History Museum.A Buddha statue at the Vietnam History Museum.Another Buddha statue at the Vietnam History Museum.Another Buddha statue at the Vietnam History Museum.Wooden sculpture.Wooden sculpture.A solemn guard at the Vietnam History Museum.A solemn guard at the Vietnam History Museum.a beautifully crafted marble statue.a beautifully crafted marble statue.This dragon's head can be seen just outside the Vietnam History Museum.This dragon's head can be seen just outside the Vietnam History Museum.At the Saigon Zoo & Botanical Gardens. These flowers, however, are not real. Cue Radiohead! (get it?)At the Saigon Zoo & Botanical Gardens. These flowers, however, are not real. Cue Radiohead! (get it?)Vinh Nghiem Pagoda. Another famous Buddhist temple in the city.Vinh Nghiem Pagoda. Another famous Buddhist temple in the city.Vinh Nghiem Pagoda.Vinh Nghiem Pagoda.Incense is a major part of Buddhist ritualistic culture. This is another shot from the Vinh Nghiem Pagoda.Incense is a major part of Buddhist ritualistic culture. This is another shot from the Vinh Nghiem Pagoda.

On our first night in the city, there was a local fair at the Saigon Central Market.On our first night in the city, there was a local fair at the Saigon Central Market.A wooden sculpture at the Ho Chi Minch City Museum.A wooden sculpture at the Ho Chi Minch City Museum.Vinh Nghiem PagodaVinh Nghiem PagodaA lady in prayer at the Vinh Nghiem PagodaA lady in prayer at the Vinh Nghiem PagodaTile patters on the floor at Vietnam History MuseumTile patters on the floor at Vietnam History MuseumMuseums are best to visit when they are deserted :DMuseums are best to visit when they are deserted 😄Keeping the green wall alive at the underground Sense Market in the city.Keeping the green wall alive at the underground Sense Market in the city.

Do you have any favorite photos from Vietnam? I'd love for you to share 🙂

Happy trails!

Hello @ThamaraKandabada

Brilliant post. The photos are really cool.

How did I miss this post? Thank you for sharing this and definetley this will inspire LG's to visit Vietnam.

Shout out... Local Guides .... Check this wonderful post.

Thank you once again.

Level 8

Thank you, @Badruddeen. Means a lot 🙂 

Level 6

Hi there @ThamaraKandabada. Whilst I haven't been to Vietnam, I do agree with @Badruddeen, this was a brilliant posting with many, many good photos. Thank you so much for sharing them with us!

Level 8

Thank you, @James8Arthur. I'm glad you enjoyed 🙂