DoriyaKiz's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Daereungwon Tomb Complex [Gyeongju's Sight and Sounds, Part 4]

Hi Local Guides! Today I will be sharing my experience with the Daereungwon Tomb Complex from my recent trip to Korea!

WhatsApp Image 2018-08-06 at 17.11.02.jpeg

Intro: The Daereungwon Tomb Complex is something like the pyramids to the Koreans, where the royals of the ancient Silla Kingdom are buried under. From afar they may look like normal mounds, but make no mistake, these mounds are considered sacred and important to the local people. In fact, running on them would bet you millions of won in fine! There are many of them around the small town of Gyeongju, each varying in size and height.

WhatsApp Image 2018-07-26 at 16.59.39 (2).jpeg

Review: While it is quite humbling to consider the history behind these tombs, only viewing them from afar seems to be quite underwhelming. Unfortunately for me, I did not get a chance to see the tomb from the inside, which I guess affected how I remember the entire experience. It is also somewhat disappointing to not know which tomb belonged to who, as we only got to see mounds of grass.

WhatsApp Image 2018-07-26 at 16.59.39 (1).jpeg

If you do plan to visit, make sure to visit one of the tombs which you can enter!

Still, it was quite the experience to see something different that is unique to Korea's culture. Have you experienced any royal burial places before? How as it? Do let me know!

Korea
2 comments
Level 6

Re: Daereungwon Tomb Complex [Gyeongju's Sight and Sounds, Part 4]

Someone must pull out the weeds and cut the grass on these "Burial Mounds".

They look very peaceful. I agree with you that itvwould have been considerate if there were brass plaques with information on them. We have Historic Plaques in Canada.

ChristineBrandon
Level 8

Re: Daereungwon Tomb Complex [Gyeongju's Sight and Sounds, Part 4]

I know! But I guess with the place being a small town, not many understand the significance of the action ¯\_(ツ)_/¯