Cooker3's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

A trip to Newgrange in Ireland

Over the weekend I visited somewhere I have always wanted to Newgrange

If you never heard of Newgrange it's a fascinating a historical site. It was built 5000 years old so 3,000 bc which makes it older than Stonehenge and the Pyramids of Giza. Nobody really knows who built it or how. The nearest quarry where they think the stones came from was 80km away in Wicklow.

What it is most famous is the winter solstice. It was built with a small chamber and come December 21st at sunrise the suns rays goes right through the small opening through the chamber and lights up the small passage.

That is the reason it was built although we will never full know. Every year nearly 300,000 people apply to see it and only 120 are lucky enough to see it and then you have to hope it is not cloudy and trust me that's a big if in Ireland.

1180543-min.jpg

1180535-min.jpg

This rock at the entrance is interesting. Nobody knows what the symbols mean or represent although there are a lot of theories. What fascinates me is how close it is to symbol in nasca lines and anybody who has visited Peru will note it looks similar to P symbol they use in all their travel literature.

Anyway that's Newgrange

If you plan to visit Ireland check it out.

Newgrange, Meath, Ireland
2 comments
Level 10

Re: A trip to Newgrange in Ireland

@Cooker3 I did not know aboit this place. Thank you for sharing.

Level 8

Re: A trip to Newgrange in Ireland

very nice @Cooker3 Thank you for sharing 🙂