Csaba's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

2018 - The European Year of Cultural Heritage

2018 is the European Year of Cultural Heritage. On this occasion, last Wednesday, the Hungarian Commission of the ICOMOS issued the yearly awards for the finest monument restorations in the country and (to my pride) the Palace of Püspökszentlászló (together with its Saint Ladislaus Church) received one of the three awards. I worked as a heritage protection officer on the renovations (although only joined after they were started). Any of the pictures shared there by me were taken during these visits- so indeed I am a bit proud of it. Here is a picture of the palace I took two years ago when its exterior was already ready: 

Puspokszentlaszlo.jpg

But this is not really what I was going to share but how I myself "celebrate" this European Year of Cultural Heritage. In 2005-2006, there was a great excavation (with a budget of € six million - although not all went for researches) on our World Heritage site in town. I worked there as an archaeologist myself and have been working on publishing stuff about what we found then and have found ever since. Here is an exhibition for instance where a huge (8.7 metres per 2.5 metres) poster is shown about the reconstruction of the site. I made the reconstruction, rendered the whole image (in pieces) and assembled the panorama image. Or I have been developing a website (sorry folks, only in Hungarian for the time being). 

Anyway, on Monday, when the museums are closed here, I went to our World Heritage site, climbed into two burial chambers and took a bunch of photos including 360 panoramas as well. Here they are: first the Burial Chamber with the Wine Pitcher - normally a visitor can see it from above (as unfortunately its vault collapsed): 

And the other one is the Burial Chamber with SS Peter and Paul (as this one has its vault, visitors can see it from below): 

As some of you may know, I often go to visit cultural heritage stuff as that's my job. Whenever I visit them, take a lot of pictures (for our archives), often 360 panoramas, too, and I pick the nicest stuff and publish it on Maps. Often I can get into places normally visitors cannot go (like into the burial chamber above or in attics or steeples of churches etc.). This is my favourite way of contribution although this may not reflect in my image count. Also when I am there, I try to correct data on the Maps (or add the places if they are mappable but not on the Maps yet). 

So now I finally decided to get into these two burial chambers (where "ordinary" people cannot go in) and take these 360 photos in order to be able to share them with the general public. 

I hope you guys like it (and here is a picture where I am lying on the glass floor of this latter burial chamber - of course, shoes off and on a blanket so that I do not make the glass dirty as people could not see that well from below): 

peter-pal.jpg

Sorry for the too long post... 

And now the question: how do You "celebrate" your cultural heritage (be it in Europe or elsewhere)?

Pécs, Cella Septichora Visitor Centre, Szent István tér, Hungary
4 comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 2018 - The European Year of Cultural Heritage

Hi, @Csaba Many thanks for sharing the interesting infomation.

How about Metro Museum in Budapest?

Caption; Metro Museum celebrated 100th year, Budapest in 1996Caption; Metro Museum celebrated 100th year, Budapest in 1996

Line1 in Budapest is the first subway of the continent. You should be much proud of it.

Great history and wonderful heritage!

Regards,

Toyo

P.S.

I've been to Budapest once in 1996.and the guy below was the Japanese guide for us.

the Japanese speaking guidethe Japanese speaking guide

Level 10

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi, @Csaba Many thanks for sharing the interesting infomation.

How about Metro Museum in Budapest?

Line1 in Budapest is the first subway of the continent. You should be much proud of it.

True, Toyo, but I do not live in Budapest, and my job is "limited" to my own county, Baranya. So when I share stuff regarding my job, I can only share things from here.

Level 8

I am working  Turkish National Agency and we prompt about cultural heritage project.

Bilgi insanı kuşkudan, iyilik acı çekmekten kararlı olmak korkudan kurtarır.
Level 10

@YouthworkerAlim wrote:

I am working  Turkish National Agency and we prompt about cultural heritage project.

Cool. And this is where (supposedly) the türbe of Suleyman the Magnificent was found in 2015 (about 30 kilometres from my place): 

Szigetvár-Turbék-20151102-14.jpg

He died in Szigetvár in 1566 and his internal organs were buried here (while his body was taken back to Istanbul)