Dr-arya's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

how to take lightning photographs

how to take picture of lightning

for this picture i have click 786 time than only i am able to catch this picture , in initial clicks i was waiting for lighting sound but soon i realize light come first sound later, than i start clicking with every flash of lighting flash still no success, than i use multiple burst clicks but still no success because which direction lighting will spark no body knows and than after so many frustrating click i realize that maximum numbers of lighting happening just above this building and than i push clik button and suddenly i capture this photograph l (21).jpg   

Jaipur, Rajasthan, India
4 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: how to take lightning photographs

Hey @Dr-arya,

Thanks for sharing your tips. This is impressive. You made me realize that with a burst I have a better chance at shooting a lightning strike. Anyway congrats on catching this great photo.

Please consider reading this post before sending me a Private Message - Private Messages and Google Moderators
Level 6

Hi @Dr-arya.

Capturing lightening is not something I have tried, (but I would never take my camera out in a storm).

If you are using a DSLR camera, you could use the long exposure setting. For instance, instead of making multiple bursts resulting in lots and lots of photos, you would take one photo, but that photo would actually take 20-30 seconds (or longer - minutes even) to capture.. but you would have a good chance of catching the lightening as it strikes. There are various settings on DSLRs and you would need to play about with them until confident enough to correctly expose the photo. Note you would also need a tripod to use the long exposure setting too.

Level 9

hi james,

you are right with long exposure we can take lighting picture bur in this particular picture you can not capture building picture with lighting because long exposure will cause building more bright

Level 6

It would indeed cause that picture above to have over exposed spots on the building...but perhaps maybe next time, avoid buildings with bright lights... Maybe another way is to take the same photograph again without the lightening & a shorter exposure, then combine the two photos in photo editing software, tripod needed though.

I hope you take some more lightning shots, It would be good to see them - and is this the city of Jaipur too - awesome place 🙂