cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7
Level 7

What camera(s) do I use?

Hi Local Guides,

I think this is a interesting topic. My main camera is my smartphone, currently I use a Huawei Mate 10 Lite because this phone has a twin camera which makes it easy to snap photos and has four main advantages 

1. Greater depth of field in pictures 
  2. Faster focus 
  3. Refocus ability 
  4. Better picture clarity

As I carry my smartphone all the time with me I am always able to snap a picture and I think sometimes it is a covert way of shooting photos.

Depending on the situation or if I know the innkeeper I bring a system camera (currently Fuji X-E1 with Fujifilm 23mm f/2) and shoot arranged shots
with perfect lighting and a tripod.

While writing about this a question popped up in my head. Here in Germany you sometimes get odd looks while taking photos for an example in

a supermarket. Sometimes people ask me what I am doing or why I am taking photos. When I explain the reason I have the feeling that only 80%

of the people understand it. What really brightens up my day is when they go: "Aha! Now I know where all the pictures in Google Maps come from!"

Most of them have already used Google Maps to look up places and they were glad that there were photos because photos are sometimes

more helpfull than words. Like the saying: "A picture is worth a thousand words"

I want to ask you how your experience is in other countries or if you also live in Germany how do your fellow human beings react?

So keep on sharing and I am looking forward to your answers 🙂

Regards

PSO

PSO
Ingolstadt, Deutschland
4 comments
Level 8

Re: What camera(s) do I use?

I know you have all heard it before but for me "THE BEST CAMERA IS THE ONE YOU HAVE WITH YOU".

Here in the USA, most of my shots are with both a Google Nexus 6P and Nikon D750. I did a cross country trip last fall and challenged myself to do the whole trip with the Nexus which was a challenge. It can't be argued that using a smartphone is the easiest way to contribute. Using the DSLR is a two step process, shoot, use something as a relay to get your pictures online. I have discovered over the years that if you want sharp photographs, then the tripod is a must. I use a tripod mount (  RetiCAM Smartphone Tripod Mount ) on my smartphone which makes it easier for software to stitch together composite shots with less seams, you know, those ugly overlaps for panoramas when you moved the camera too far from center.

Level 7
Level 7

Hi Bruce,

that is really a fact and while I despised the first camera phones because of their mediocre quality I do not want to miss it as ALWAYS-WITH-ME-CAMERA.

Same with me when I am on vaction to interesting places I usually spend a few hours a day only taking photographs but with my Fuji because of the better

quality and I think mainly because I was raised this way by my parents. Back then it was my first SLR with film so no looky looky how the picture turned out.

It was a more relaxed photography and the photos were well thought of because you only had 28 or 36 shots.

When I am taking photos with the Fuji while travelling I carry a small tripod with me that fits nicely into my jacket, shorts, bag etc. to get some nice low light details.

Thanks for the tip with the smartphone mount! I just ordered one from Manfrotto at Amazon for only 9,79 Euros https://amzn.to/2qZzpGL

Regards from Bavaria

Rene

PSO
Level 8

I did try some of those spring loaded smartphone adapters but sent them all back in favor of the one I mentioned in the post. Reason being the final one has a rubber padded "V" groove and the screw lets you tighten to a point you know the phone will never fall out. When mine is attached I can just fold the legs in and throw the whole thing extended over my shoulder and not worry about the phone falling out.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P4VAHAI/ref=asc_df_B00P4VAHAI1521802800000?tag=shopz0d-20&ascsubtag=sho...

Look at the customer reviews, mine is probably in there too but you will have to go through 1000 to find it. 🙂

Level 7
Level 7

Thanks and if I am not satisfied I will send it back and order yours!

PSO