SteveS's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

Theta S and Ipad workflow

I recently received the Theta S from google street view loan program, but I'm struggling to produce a number of 360 images and upload to street view.

Does anyone have a workflow I could follow, I have looked at the tips and advice on google street view but they leave out chunks of info so do not make it easy.

I took 300 images using the Theta S in conjunction with ipad, what I found at the publishing stage was that some images had gps location and a whole batch did not.

Blurring out the camera mount (helmet) is a pain and slow process, however after doing this and publishing the images to street view they never arrived on the actual map?

Also about half way round the route the Theta app no longer showed the camera view, I just had a grey screen, I checked the image captured and it was okay bit why does the screen go live view disappear?

All help appreciated as I only have a short window of opportunity to complete the 360 images for my project.

3 comments
Level 7

Re: Theta S and Ipad workflow

I recently received a Samsung 360 loan, as part of getting to grips with it so far I have restricted myself to a few solo photospheres in nearby locations that Street View has flagged as needing photospheres.

If I recall correctly my package came with an email address for direct support/help. If you can't find yours let me know and I will check my stuff.

Level 7

couple of 'insights' into using the SV app, and the Theta.

Cache tends to be used up quite quickly, so I'd recommend not setting the options to download the images while taking multiple pics, download them as a batch later. It can also take a while for the camera to 'process' an image, so you won't see a preview for a little while after taking a pic, and this time delay can extend the more pics you take in a session. 

As for editing, not sure which app you are using, but Photoshop doesn't respect the appropriate exif data, so that may be one reason why they're appearing to have no location data. Also had issues after editing of the images uploading as 'flat' images without the photosphere characteristics, so uploads of those will fail too. 

I'd certainly recommend doing tours of a smaller scale than 300 images, and splitting it into smaller batches, restarting the app, and maybe even rebooting the ipad to totally clear cache. I'm guessing you haven't got to the 'connecting' stage, but I'm just discovering that if you try and connect too many, that you get an error, so maybe only try connecting 10 at a time. Good luck!

Level 7

Update to my previous post:

The email that I received after my Google Street View camera loan kit had been delivered concluded with:

And if you need any assistance during the loan period let us know (with a link).

I think it is possible that you are not connecting to the Street View app correctly in accordance with the on-line manual - in my package there was a link to it on the large 'greetings card' in the box.

I definitely do not think you should be editing at this stage.