ThomH's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5

Theta S Photo Quality Help / Needs Improvement

I purchased a Richo Theta S. I am happy with the size and easy of use. The app is buggy on my Nexus 6P. And worse, the Automatic photo quality is really poor. I am wondering if most users of Theta S cameras are using the manual photo options for their shoots, and if so, what settings they have found to produce the best / CRISP quality for both indoor and outdoor shoots.

Frequently my shots have purple edges along trees and walls. There's LOTS of noise in the shots, too. 

NOISENOISEPurple edge on drain pipePurple edge on drain pipePurple edge on tree trunkPurple edge on tree trunk

San Diego, CA, United States
7 comments
Level 7

Re: Theta S Photo Quality Help / Needs Improvement

Update your Theta to the latest firmware, play with the HDR settings, once you take your 360* upload them to google photos, and edit them to give them a little pop, remember to turn vignette to zero! 

I love my Theta! 

Darin R. McClure
Level 10

@ThomH i agree with you . also cloudy environment photo more bad then your given photos. GPS position also not accurate . they say 1080p but i see it not more half 

Mahabub Hasan
Level 7

for the best possible quality use a DSLR rig......

Level 4

For me the frustration comes in that the image quality seems to drop when uploaded to google. If you view them on the Theta app or have uploaded them to the sharing site they are crisp and (fairly) clean, but when uploaded to street view they get noisy and less sharp. 

Level 7

You might have it set on the smaller size. My  photos come out great. It is important to make sure that none of the extra settings are used. I have had some come out ridiculous cause I moved the little button. Also the other time the quality was bad was because I accidentally changed the resolution size. I do HDR after in snapseed which now maintains 360 metadata for most filters. Tell me what you think of this one https://goo.gl/photos/Th3B9MXpWTXbaHRV9

.·´¯¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·...>((((º>
·.¸¸.·´¯`·...>((((º>
Level 5

Dear Brad, thanks for the sample photo of the shop. I did not know there were different sizes I could choose from on the Theta S. I will look for those settings and see what I can do. Regarding your photo sample, if I am honest with you, I feel like there is a lot of noise in the photo. Almost pixelization. I am not a pro at this. Clearly. But I would not be happy with that noise. So far I have been able to get my best shots with the least noise while using ISO mode and set to 100. I touch up my shots in Photoshop and am doing my best to use the Raw filter to adjust the purple edges (from low lens quality) and to bring down the noise even further. Also the haze reduction tool really makes things a little more clean.

Level 7

@ThomH thanks for trips. I mainly use the auto settings with ISO on 100. This photo has some contasting light from outside that with my post capture editing in snapseed contributed to the noise. I have always been very happy with resolution which is light years ahead of my iris 360. But you give me some great things to consider and try. I will share some unedited later on for your feedback. Thanks.

.·´¯¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·...>((((º>
·.¸¸.·´¯`·...>((((º>