palos's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

The trigger of the Order of photos

Hi there!
Maybe it is a well discussed question but I did not found any satisfactory answer yet.
Well, what is the real trigger of appearing the pictures first or their order?
Date? Clicks? Likes? Number of stars of the Local Guide who uploaded it ;)?
Thank you!

3 comments
Level 9

Re: The trigger of the Order of photos

@palos  You have gotten the answer. There is no satisfactory answer and there will not be one from Google. It is intentional since people would game the system. The ranking is done with artificial intelligence, reading what is in the picture, and I believe it varies by type of location. So all you will find in conjecture, but from the numerous posts and watching what ranks you can get a rough idea and that is as good as it will get.  You can be sure that since they constantly test user experience and change based on what they learn if you had the answer today, tomorrow it may be a different one. So the volume of photos you shoot counts and watching you own results give you a trend.

Level 6

Thank you @davidcox! Somehow I have been afraid of this solution... 😉
Many times there are positively inappropriate images at a place. I mean positively about an accidental shot of the photographer legs and the ground what was taken around "The Place".
I saw these images as they are the main images of "The Place" or at least they are in the top of the list.
Ok, we can report them as an error but the rankings intelligence is still a bit weird, isn't it?

More usual issue when the image is taken in the next street and it is not in correspondence with the famous subject.

Level 9

@palos  I was able to view a seminar for trusted photographers and the presenters' point was there is no understanding to how they are ranked and suggested it is wrong.  Sorry, I do not remember his name but he was very good. But that is what we have. Reporting helps and I agree there is a lot of weird photos that just do not have any logical reason to be there.  I find this especially hard since we focus so much on trying to get good helpful shots and then you see some just junk shots. I would like to think it will continue to get better.  Hard to track if it is getting better over time since our views are limited.