WarrenBradfield's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Re: Streetview App & Ricoh Theta

I got to thank the team, the former jitter in positioning is reduced to minimal now. They must using a kind of averaging/smoothing algorithm, overriding impossible scenarion (unlikely I am in the lake, more probable I am walking on the shore).

I purchased a Moza Guru 360 gimbal to my Theta V in order to be able shoot smoother videos. Working OK, but with two difficulties: there is no height compensation, the height differance based on my steps are not corrected.

The second problem is that it is hard to keep above my head when filming a longer route. I grasp now the huge benefit of a Google backpack setup.

Level 7

I am by far no expert (yet), but I have some experience nevertheless.

As far as GPS goes to locate where the picture was taken, it is pretty much worthless as it has an accuracy of 5-10m (if you're lucky) AND since you're using a smartphone to operate a Theta (I have the same device), it's even more worthless, unless you hold the Theta above your head.  When taking a 360, I hide to be out of the picture, but usually that's at least 3m (or further) away, and since the GPS locates your smartphone and not your Theta, it's always several meters off by definition 😉

I don't even use GPS location anymore because it's easier to put the nodes in position manually, even outside.

Level 9

I tried first time to make a series of interval photos with Theta S and GalaxyS4, GPS accuracy set to max. The photos were made outside, no high building shadowing the signals. Took very small steps on the planned path, hear the camera tweeting frequently. With horror see that the positions jump around the cellphone display wildly. 10-15 yards ahead and back suddenly to the side into the lake or in a building.  This method is worthless if I manually got to readjust the pins on the tiny screen. The sequence of the photos are saved as serial numbers on the display, that is very good. But automatic connection between such jittery positions is impossible.

My proposal: the streetview app should have an option "path photos". The beginning and end of a planned path trust the GPS signal (maybe it is fixed in a preliminary run, together with some key turning points of the path) but in between the serial number of the photos has priority. A smoothing function (moving position average) would be nice. 

The result is disappointing: the X-es showing the photo point are not all on the path but inside a house, between trees etc. This feature is improved lately, the points are kept on the path, thank you!

Level 9

The positions are not jumping any more randomly for photo series. My guess is that each photo made a gps call and that was the reason for the jittery path. Now when I made a video clip with the theta v the blue line stayed nicely on the road. The video mode do not initiate a series of gps calls, that may be the reason that the irritating error disappeared. Whatever, I do thank the team for fixing it.