Phunky's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Stonehenge UK: Lens Flare, Perspective and Being a Rebel - Makes You Creative

Using lens flare EVEN WITH A MOBILE CAMERA gets a magical  effectUsing lens flare EVEN WITH A MOBILE CAMERA gets a magical effectLaw of three, focus first, get LOW down with far away objects, and fire away. One photo will be killerLaw of three, focus first, get LOW down with far away objects, and fire away. One photo will be killerFans of 2001 and Phantasm will recognise homages. Look for things which inspire you. Choose a focal point and two higher  objects to show how small humanity is in metaphoric photographyFans of 2001 and Phantasm will recognise homages. Look for things which inspire you. Choose a focal point and two higher objects to show how small humanity is in metaphoric photographyAnother 3rd photo with focus on the door within a door. Always look for things, within things. Same can be used for focusing on the object IN A REFLECTION IN NIGHT PHOTOGRAPHYAnother 3rd photo with focus on the door within a door. Always look for things, within things. Same can be used for focusing on the object IN A REFLECTION IN NIGHT PHOTOGRAPHYNormal nice picture comparing round to straight square solids.Normal nice picture comparing round to straight square solids.

Hey, I recently went to Stonehenge. I'd like to share that with a 100 buck phone (Blackview S8) you can get high quality photographs. Not only that, with know-how and creativity you can shine without the kit many use. Finally, defy norms and what experts and teachers say is right at times for great effect. Only by experimenting can you shine.

The phone has two cameras and supposedly is mega cool and does HDR.

I've found it is very hard to focus during a live event or with movement. It does however have natural Canon like over  saturation and it can super quick fire photos. As any pro will tell you, only 2% of a shoot is usable. So, never one shot it, take lots of photos. Your phone cam has the memory so use it!

Here's a few techniques I used. They are very simple. Law of Thirds. With ground and sky I find its best to focus first get the camera literally ON the ground. I use this in street photography using the wall. Yes, the wall. Find a brick wall corner, focus the phone camera on your knees, move it near the floor. Then do multiple shoots. I quick fire. The first photo (without a wall was done like that.

Many people sweat about not getting into the sun as it bleaches photos. Well, it can. But many things they tell you NOT to do in school are the things which really set us apart. I use the sun to bleach and make lens flare. Not only that, you can sweat wipe or sticky finger the lens to get a nice blurry lens flare - picture 2. Wipe off after. Have fun.

Third photo is the law of three using a single focal point. You're drawn into the doorway in the doorway right. Use this for straight on photos for great effects. Using this in reflections (water, metal and glass is cool). 

Number 4 is my favourite as it's a homage to movies which I love. We got the big standing stone, then Stonehenge and the people, well this shot is a homage to this part of the Phantasm movie by using CLOSE TO focal points while telling another story.

Final photo is looking at shapes. Circles, squares, things crossing, spirals. Just walk around until you find a harmony (like my last photo) or something radical. With radical photos I take at different angles, 25, 30, 45, 55, 75, 90. You can fill with more sky or floor. It'll draw you into the shapes - as they contrast each other. Have fun trying. Do please comment below on my style and approach. I too want to learn from the community. Thanks in advance

Stonehenge, Amesbury, Salisbury, UK
1 comment
Former Google Contributor

Re: Stonehenge UK: Lens Flare, Perspective and Being a Rebel - Makes You Creative

Niiice! Thanks so much for sharing your insights here, @Phunky. You've made some really good photos too.

Just so you know, I'll move your post to the Photography board where it fits even better.

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!