johnanderson's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Some Restaurant and Food Photography Tips I've Learned

I love taking photographs at restaurants. Food and food photography are passions of mine. Here are some food/restaurant photography tips I've learned.

1) People respond better to photographs of the interior of a restaurant than pictures of food. Try to find a good shot that shows some interesting symmetry like a clean row of tables or some of the interior decorations.

2) Everyone can take a photo of a boring bowl of soup but there are ways to take it up a notch. Try taking an action photo of your food! Take a spoon or fork and bring it up to the camera into focus with a little food on it. The bowl or plate behind it will blur slightly creating an interesting effect. This also works with dipping bread or chips.

3) Rich colors like reds or yellows will attract the eye. Try to take photos which have a lot of colors. A photo which looks undersaturated or bland will not get much of a response.

4) Think outside the box. Take some random shots inside and you might be surprised. The best photos are the ones which stand out by being different.

It's really fun to post photos like this and see which ones start getting the most views - the standouts will be the ones that show first on Google search results. You know then that you have taken something that best represents the establishment. 🙂

Dallas, TX, United States
11 comments
Level 7

Re: Some Restaurant and Food Photography Tips I've Learned

I literally took a picture of a (boring) bowl of soup today 😛 haha

Thanks for the tips!

Level 10

Haha I did the same too. So not posting it for sure. 

Thanks for the tips. I do realise, as a person who hasn't been to a place before,

I too would want to see the ambience/lighting/decor of the place rather than just the dish.  

Level 10

This is my contribution to the "boring soup gallery": 

https://goo.gl/maps/sjUtjYv81M42

😄

Level 8

Hi @johnanderson

Can you share photos here.... or please give link to see your photos.... 

Ganesh Krishna Soordelu
https://www.google.com/maps/contrib/107546818522123617136/reviews/@13.0054542,77.5676733,13z?hl=en
Level 10

Well in my opinion it's not boring at all :). 

Is there a way of sending links o only or personal uploaded pics or do we have to send the location link only the way you did ? 

Any idea ? Not sure if this is the right place to ask though.

@petocsaba wrote:

This is my contribution to the "boring soup gallery": 

https://goo.gl/maps/sjUtjYv81M42

😄

Level 10

@Karancricketer

I usually share photos from my online Google Photos anyway and yes, there's a way to share photos from those albums, too. Here's an example: 

https://goo.gl/photos/da71GBv7SMDVjJ287

which I also shared on the map later.

Level 10

Well that's a good idea. So far I haven't used google photos. 

Thabks for the idea. 

But then for iOS, google maps ( the app ) doesn't allow me to share from google photos. 

I'll have to do that from the web. 

Google guys, please I request you to make the app a little more friendly. :). 

Level 10

I also do it mostly from the web (using Maps on my Desktop). Especially that it saves my mobile bandwidth (at home or in the office, my photos are automatically backed up over WiFi - and what I take with my DSL camera, I can easily upload at home).

Level 10

Well, Out here in India, unfortunately internet plans aren't that good, So thanks for the idea, a wifi backup and then google photos from thereon seems good ! I shall do this soon !