KimberlyAnnG's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Simple tip for better Smartphone Photography!

This simple Smart Phone Photography tip really upped my game!

I've been using digital cameras (exclusively) since they became affordable in 1997.  Here's an example of the photos I took back then.  This one was taken January 1, 1998 on my first digital point and shoot.  It was a Toshiba PDR-M1.  You can check the specs on it here: https://www.dpreview.com/products/toshiba/compacts/toshiba_pdrm1   Resolution is terrible, compared to today's smartphones and DSLRs.  If you're wondering how I found this photo and the info on it in a snap, Google Photos.  😄
Look!  A rainbow at the amusement park in January!Look! A rainbow at the amusement park in January!
Here's a link to one taken on my Google Pixel smartphone while I was in Sydney, Australia.  This one demonstrates complicated light and shadow and finding that happy medium that makes it a better photo.  Sorry I can't embed it here.  LGC still can't handle the file size of pics taken on my Pixel 😕  https://goo.gl/photos/UVcjs9TyHaRw3CDS6 

With the advent of better/faster/higher res smartphone cameras I find myself leaving the DSLR home more and more. 90% of the 2,000+ photos I took on my recent trip to Australia and New Zealand were taken on my Google Pixel. My 32 gigabytes of space held out until the last day on tour. Had to pull out the DSLR at that point.  Now I have an even greater appreciation for the ease of just using my phone.  The DSLR will still ride along in case I need the longer lens but another famous photographer once said "If you need zoom to get the shot, you should try getting closer first.".  Most of the time, I can do without it.

The tipping point in this debate (smartphone vs. DSLR) for me came from reading this article. Written by my buddy and fellow Local Guide, @antpruitt, it offers simple advice for scenes with complicated lighting. I knew about tapping the screen but never realized how much fine control we have now.  I'm a point and shoot photographer, all those settings on the DSLR are not for me.  I'll venture out of auto for some of the specialty modes like sports photography but when my phone can do it without the dial setting, it's my choice.  Every time.

Check it out here:   http://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-handle-exposure-in-your-smartphone-photography/  and follow Ant on G+ if you're there.  He's a great guy and has great passion for ALL the things he's interested in......including good food and fine liquors.  😄

So the next time you're snapping a pic in a strange lighting situation, play with it. Your photos will come out so much better you'll be thanking Ant every time, just like me!

?Kimberly on Social ? Google Maps  ? Instagram ? Facebook ? Twitter ?️YouTube ?San Francisco Local Guides

3 comments
Level 4

Re: Simple tip for better Smartphone Photography!

Thanks for your contribution. I'm a professional photographer and also a local guide. I've taken most of my shots with the phone but am experimenting with the DSLR. There's extra steps involved and I'm not certain that I can upload the larger images but the quality on a larger screen would be worth it. The quality of camera phones has come a long way and some of them are quite impressive.

Level 5
Level 5

Thank you so much for that info I will give it a try.

Level 7

Thanks for the love, Kimmy! 

I love snappin' shots when I'm out and about.   🙂