LuisRG's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

Photo Tip: Leading Lines

You know that we love to give you some photo tips here on Connect and also on our newsletter. So in case you missed the newsletter where we talk about leading lines in your pictures, here you have it.

leadinglines.jpg

(Photo by 愛旅行 vivian)

In order to make your picture stand out, look for lines within the frame that lead your eye toward the photo's main subject (you may remember that the best way to position your subject in the frame is using the rule of thirds). If you use natural lines occurring in your composition, even better. These can be pronounced lines such as trees, pools and buildings, or more subtle ones like where the light falls or the direction a person is looking. In this photo, the edge of the pool leads your eye to the sunset.

Do you have any picture that shows the use of leading lines? Please share them with us 🙂

Local Guides Community Program Manager
Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. Thank you.
4 comments
Level 3

Re: Photo Tip: Leading Lines

Do you have any picture that shows the use of leading lines? Please share them with us 🙂

While it's more of a spiral than a direct line, I think the San Francisco city blocks lead you into the district glowing in the sunrise.

IMAG2997.jpg

Level 10

Leading lines (sort of - maybe not leading anywhere 🙂

Király Street, Pécs, HungaryKirály Street, Pécs, Hungary

And what Google Photos created of it: 

Google Photos Effect - pretty coolGoogle Photos Effect - pretty cool

Level 8

This was my first leading lines pic , after learning about it 

Google photos did a throw back of the same yesterday and that's how it came up to my attention again F63A029A-9ADA-4A83-843A-F9FC3E96BD31.jpeg

Posted about it separately buy sadly seems buried within the layers of LGConnect 

Former Google Contributor

Love the picture @ArunMuralidhar. Your use of the leading lines is perfect.

But, after all, I'm a train nerd, so that was easy 🙂

Local Guides Community Program Manager
Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. Thank you.