RupamDey's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Nor'westers or the Kalbaishakhi in West Bengal, India

G2.jpg

Both images are clicked from the same point of our terrace on the same day, there is approx 1 hour of time gap between them.

The below one is clicked prior to the above one, and this sudden massive change is called the Kalbaishakhi.

G1.jpg

Nor'westers or the Kalbaishakhi is a local rain fall and thunder storm which occurs in India and Bangladesh. Kalbaishakhi occurs, with increasing frequency, from March till monsoon establishes over North-East India. Sometimes it might be progressive derechos. During this time OdishaWest BengalAssamBiharChhattisgarhJharkhandBangladesh and North-Eastern states of India are affected by violent thunderstorms. They cause considerable damage to life and property and are known as Kalbaisakhi or the calamity of Baishakhi, the month of April–May in India. Kalbaishakhi is accompanied by strong squalls and sometimes by hail. On extremely rare occasions, tornados may also accompany them too. Flying through these winds can be extremely dangerous. Circumnavigating or penetrating them may be disastrous and pilots avoid them. However, the rainfall in these storms is beneficial for the tea cultivated in Assam and for the jute and rice and tea cultivated in West Bengal and Bangladesh.

Text source - wikipedia

Kolkata, West Bengal, India
12 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Nor'westers or the Kalbaishakhi in West Bengal, India

That's a quite interesting post, @RupamDey! I liked the comparison between the two photos. Thanks for sharing it. I just want to kindly ask you to add the source of the text about Nor'westers. 🙂 

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 7

Thanks @NadyaPN for pointing out, have added the source 🙂 

Level 6

@RupamDey I love how most of the photo is given to the sky which is quite important when you have a lot of detail/colour in the clouds. These are really nice. I just hope those Nor'westers don't do too much damage.

Level 7

@LuisRG @TraciC @Csaba @NatalieP @VicL1 @KarenVChin @YK1001 @KlaudiyaG

Hello guys,

I would like to request all of you to have a look on my post.

Thanks in advance!

Level 9

Bls: Nor'westers or the Kalbaishakhi in West Bengal, India

Welcome to local guide connect

always smiling, contributing on connect and google maps

success always make for your family and your career

greetings from yogyakarta, indonesia

cheer

Level 10

You are a nature lover @RupamDey

BHASI BAHULEYAN
Level 6

From the links: "four youngsters lost their lives in a lightning strike in Howrah district's Uluberia", "1050 houses fully damaged" All awful news 😞 😞 @RupamDey We really are at the mercy of Mother nature.

Level 9

@RupamDey

You captured it well.