Suenoyi's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

How to freely get into locations to take pictures.

Hello everyone, 

So my first Lagos walks meetup happened today at Lagos: The 36 walk organized by @SanyaOdare. It was amazing. It took me back to my active days of being a market analyst.

To the topic of the day, I noticed that in Nigeria, businesses and people generally are very skeptical about allowing local guides take pictures of their business location and interior. Most times, you have to explain so much before you are allowed to take pictures to add on the map.

My own little trick is to act as a potential customer because to be honest, I am.

I walked into hotels today and even a car shop asking the right questions. I did not mention Google maps at all. Lol...

I usually start with this, 'I will like to make enquiries about your business' then I move on to ask about questions that would be relevant for Q and A on the map like ' is there a budget accomodation?' 'Is it wheel chair friendly?' It even got me a lot of opportunities to take countless of pictures.

At a particular lounge, I asked if I could host a party and how much it would cost. I asked about the type of food they served and if discounts were given for doing something extra. At this point, they know you are trying to make up your mind to patronize them and they won't want you going to their competition so they would let you take pictures. Lol...

I hope this helped someone and by the way, I and my friends like to explore so we ask as many questions as possible that would actually help us make good decisions about places to visit.

I also hope my reviews help someone out there.

Let me know what you think or if you would like to drop other tricks too.IMG_20180421_130016.jpg

Nigeria
17 comments
Level 10

Re: How to freely get into locations to take pictures.

Obviously, this is way so cool and I think it's one of the perfect ways of getting first hand information about any place or business! Thanks for sharing this @Suenoyi

@Suenoyi wrote:

Hello everyone, 

So my first Lagos walks meetup happened today at Lagos: The 36 walk organized by @SanyaOdare. It was amazing. It took me back to my active days of being a market analyst.

To the topic of the day, I noticed that in Nigeria, businesses and people generally are very skeptical about allowing local guides take pictures of their business location and interior. Most times, you have to explain so much before you are allowed to take pictures to add on the map.

My own little trick is to act as a potential customer because to be honest, I am.

I walked into hotels today and even a car shop asking the right questions. I did not mention Google maps at all. Lol...

I usually start with this, 'I will like to make enquiries about your business' then I move on to ask about questions that would be relevant for Q and A on the map like ' is there a budget accomodation?' 'Is it wheel chair friendly?' It even got me a lot of opportunities to take countless of pictures.

At a particular lounge, I asked if I could host a party and how much it would cost. I asked about the type of food they served and if discounts were given for doing something extra. At this point, they know you are trying to make up your mind to patronize them and they won't want you going to their competition so they would let you take pictures. Lol...

I hope this helped someone and by the way, I and my friends like to explore so we ask as many questions as possible that would actually help us make good decisions about places to visit.

I also hope my reviews help someone out there.

Let me know what you think or if you would like to drop other tricks too.IMG_20180421_130016.jpg

Always happy improving the maps and connect here!
Level 7

Waod, such brilliancy!

Smart thinking and sharp mind from a beautiful lagos local guide!

I'll implement soon with this your trick and send you feedback

Connect Moderator

This is cool and great..

It is a great Idea @Suenoyi

Keep it up..

Check this @HelloSamsonR @AustinCO  @Shantee @AnitaAO @Lelekena

NO to PLASTIC, Together, we can Achieve

Level 6

A very smart, genuine, and imitable technique there!

My little technique has Google in it though 😁 I'd ask if they knew how many people would be able to reach them if they were visible on Google search.

We keep reaching out regardless.

Well done amiable Guide 😘

Level 7

Yaaassss! watching you do this first hand was quite eye opening and educational. I mean making enquiries might seem a little stretchy to just straight up taking pictures without asking, but the benefit far outweighs the uncertainty associated with the wild west style.. even though I don't fancy adding places I don't really know about! thanks again for the insight @Suenoyi really helpful!

James Edeani - Lagos Local Guide
Level 7

lol...Thank you. Looking forward to your feedback.

Level 7

Thank you very much. I really appreciate.

Level 7

lool... Thank you very much. Will try your method soon.

Level 10

Your technique is another lovely thing to do! I guess my business gets more views from Google searches compared to maps itself! Keep it up madam! 

@Shantee wrote:

A very smart, genuine, and imitable technique there!

My little technique has Google in it though 😁 I'd ask if they knew how many people would be able to reach them if they were visible on Google search.

We keep reaching out regardless.

Well done amiable Guide 😘

Always happy improving the maps and connect here!